update disc from tiger to leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by spunklemonkey, Dec 15, 2008.

1. spunklemonkey macrumors member

Is there a disc to buy which just updates from tiger to leopard which is cheaper ? Im guessing not as I cannot find anywhere that sells it.

Looking at the cheaper options of upgrading having spent so much at xmas :) On ebay there are some leopards update discs going for less than leopard retail, there black discs one says "cpu drop in" and the other says "upgrade dvd".

Do these upgrade discs work on any mac? Or does the cpu one only work on the original mac it came with?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

I've used an update disc to do a clean install once; it is an option, but it sucks, theres no software on it, and I had to fight with my original Tiger discs to install iLife on Leopard from them.

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

90% of the original problems with Leopard come from upgrading an older system as opposed to performing a clean install. If you know anyone who goes to college, a Leopard disk can be purchased for around $70 at an education store.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

There is no Mac OS X update disk, unfortunately. Well, I guess this is inherently an update, since the computer you install it on must have come preinstalled with OS X, a version that you'll be updating from. No, the retail OS X disks don't contain iLife. It only comes with new Macs.

6. spunklemonkey thread starter macrumors member

so what is ilife then? As a designer im not sure Id need that?

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie, iWeb, GarageBand. They probably came preinstalled with your computer, but if you don't use them...

8. spunklemonkey thread starter macrumors member

No I wont be using those I dont think, then again I dont want a total hash installation so I guess ill wait a bit and then get full leopard or maybe get a leopard retail from ebay instead and save a whopping £10.

Also not impressed with his mighty mouse wheel, ive read its not very good im surprised apple allow it to have such a low rating on their own site. I like it though and just managed to get the wheel going again so ill just keep using it despite its flaws. Im sure its bee debating to hell and back, sorry for mentioning it!

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

There is only one version of Leopard. If you want iLife, you'll have to install the older version that came with your computer, or buy it separately. Personally, I never use it.