UPDATE: Does Apple still do the water damage replacement for $199?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LIVEFRMNYC, Sep 23, 2011.

1. LIVEFRMNYC, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011

LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Dropped my iPhone outside today in gushing flood waters due to heavy rain. The camera lens is completely full of moisture so I know water got inside. It basically goes into recovery mode and that's it. Can't even restore without an error.

So basically just want to know if I can go to the Apple store and get a replacement. Do they still replace for refurbs at $199?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

3. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Yes, but my Apple store has been doing it for free a lot. You might get lucky too!

4. andyx3x macrumors 65816

Sometimes it just depends on which employee you get.

5. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

Great, thanks.

I tried to google, but I found mostly stuff from 2010 and back.

That would be sweet but I doubt I would get it for free. This would be my second exchange. Before I exchanged it cause of the mic not working except on speaker bug, and got a brand new(not refurb) replacement. The genius will probably see that in the records and automatically make me pay.

6. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

GREAT NEWS:

Just went to the Apple store on 5 ave in NYC since they are open 24/7. Waited about 40min since it was crowded. An Apple genius called my name then 10 min later gave me another iPhone 4 at no charge. :)

I already had my card out ready to pay. He told me I was 11 days past my warranty but accidents happen so don't worry about paying. He also told me if it happens again I would have to pay.

And to top it off, it had a small crack on the front glass above the camera on the left corner. It wasn't that noticeable, but the way he grilled my iPhone up close, there's no way he could have missed it. It was also the same guy who replaced my phone before.

I can't think of any other company with such a forgiving attitude, especially tech companies.

The only bad thing is now I'm on 4.3.5 and can't do a untethered JB.

7. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Wow. Lucky guy. :apple:

8. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Stories like this show why the Apple experience sometimes just can't be beat :)

Glad to hear OP you really lucked out!

9. ahbdesign macrumors member

I know of a friend who got the same treatment as you about a week after his warranty was up! So your case is not a one-off. Apple does have a very forgiving attitude! :)

10. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

That's awesome! I got my iPod touch replaced after dropping it literally outside in the parking lot on my way into the Apple store to get it looked at for a battery drain issue. The screen was completely shattered. After I explained what happened, the genius I talked to told me to hand him the iPod upside down so he wouldn't see the cracked screen. He then replaced my iPod for me. Apple's customer service is easily the best I've ever experienced.

11. PharmDoc macrumors 6502

Yea, they are great. I took my brother's 3GS to the Apple store at the Irvine spectrum because he didn't believe that they would replace his phone with a cracked screen at no charge. He still has Applecare until 11/11 and I went in and tried to be real nice to the genius and a few minutes after looking up some info on the phone, he replaced it at no charge.:):) The great thing is that he gave me one that was on 4.3.3 so I can still JB it for him when he decides to sell it.

12. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

My dad had the same experience, which is why I told the OP it'd likely be free. I go to Apple a lot, and I've never seen anyone actually pay the $199.

13. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Apples profit margins are so much greater than other companies, they can easily afford to do what they do.