update due to macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by m.barry1311, Jan 20, 2008.

1. m.barry1311 macrumors newbie

surely an update to the macbook is due? its the only white plastic computer apple have left!:apple:

what does everyone else think?, am i just being nieve (i am a recent switcher!)

2. Melan macrumors regular

3. Aranince macrumors 65816

Yes...an update will probably occur in April/May

4. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

As it has been said before, no update until May/June and it will be a minor one at that.

5. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

They just updated the MB in November. Next update I would say sometime late Spring, Summer 08.

6. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

7. Yankees 4 Life macrumors 6502a

8. Melan macrumors regular

Got a reason to believe it will be minor? (i want it to be minor)

9. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

By minor, probably just a jump in processor speed and LED backlighting, and possibly a SSD option, a major update would be something like a new design, bigger screen options, ect.

10. Mac Donald Duck macrumors newbie

here some my speculation about "MB may 2008" due to clues how it can be refreshed.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=417818

most important is how MBP will be refreshed in feb 2008 from this starting point we can asses how MB will be refreshed.

11. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

It is hard to guess based on there has been no MacBook Pro update yet but a speed bump (still Santa Rosa), LED screen, maybe more memory or a more hard drive space in the higher end?

12. Aranince macrumors 65816

Thats a good idea...but Apple needs to make the case tree-hugger-happy. Apple's website states that their whole line would be green by the end of 07...but that didn't happen. So Theres gonna be a case redesign for the MacBook ahead.

13. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The last update to the MacBook revamped the keyboard, added a much better graphics chip, added much better speakers and provided Leopard as standard. You also now get a cleaning cloth with the computer too.

As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. MacBook sells so amazingly well as it is right now that Apple doesn't really need to invest any money in producing a new case or anything for it. The fact that it is plastic and it is aimed at education really helps it - the number of people I have seen with bashed MacBook Pros far outweighs the number of clearly bashed MacBooks. The plastic is good for durability.

14. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

It was also updating the chip platform to a Santa Rosa platform which included a faster processor chip.

15. jne381 macrumors regular

Other than an aluminum enclosure (which probably will not happen because it would probably hurt sales of the MBA) I don't see the chance of a major Spring update beyond some sort of speed bump.

The Santa Rosa chipset was a really good upgrade that didn't get a lot of press. The ability to up the RAM to 4 GB is an awesome performance enhancer.

16. Mac Donald Duck macrumors newbie

Yeah but Jobs wants a Greener apple products line
    so Apple now produce only Aluminium chassis no more PVC or Plastic, no more Arsenic and Mercury ecc ecc.
    so is reasonable thinking that new MB will have new aluminium Chassis.

17. jne381 macrumors regular

Just a question:

Does anyone honestly believe that the plastic used for laptops (machines used over and over for numerous years) are actually a serious source of environmental pollution? I guess you could say every little bit matters, but shouldn't we focus on the bigger causes first.

18. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Of course we should. The sooner Americans realise that a 1L engine in a car is perfectly sufficient the better.

19. Mac Donald Duck macrumors newbie

yeah but Jobs is Ceo of apple and he doesn't want Aple at last place in Greenpeace eco-chart anymore.
    This is for social responsability he doesn't want apple be considered a pollutant company is bad advertising for apple products.