Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2005
Backstory: I’ve been using Swiftkey for years. It’s more customizable than the native iOS keyboard. Even to this date. Late last year, Microsoft said that it will no longer be supporting the iOS version of Swiftkey. But users will still be able to continue using it. Been working fine for me since. Then earlier this year, I noticed that there was an update to Swiftkey. I thought maybe the powers that be changed their mind, about not supporting the app anymore. I updated it, along with other apps. And no issues. It updated. In fact it updated two more times with no issues.

Fast forward to today. I saw another update for Swiftkey. I hit Update All. But this time, I received a notification, that the app was no longer available in the app store. And wouldn’t updated. But now, I have a Swiftkey update notification that won’t go away. I’ve rebooted my iPhone. I logged on and off my Apple account. Still there. This has happened before (years before), and the only way to get rid of that notification, was to delete the app. And I don’t want to delete the app. It works fine, and I won’t be able to re-download it. I just want the notification gone. This is also affecting my iPad Pro.

So…

1. Why am I getting an update notification for an app that’s no longer supported, and not in the app store?
2. How do I get rid of that notification within the App Store app? And how to prevent this from happening with other apps in the future?
3. Could this be an ongoing iOS issue. Where someone dropped the ball, and/or they haven’t been able to figure out how to fix? Hence the update notice, for an un-updatable app.

Thanks.

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2005
Update. For chits and giggles, I did a search in the App Store app, for Swiftkey. And low and behold, it’s STILL there. I tapped on it to open it’s page. The “Update” button was there. I tapped on it. And it updated with no issues.

So the answer is 3. iOS issue.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Reactions: nburwell and iStorm

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
And I don’t want to delete the app. It works fine, and I won’t be able to re-download it.
For future reference... You can still download apps that aren't listed in the App Store anymore by going to your purchase history and re-download from there.

Reactions: gslrider
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.