Update for Mac Mini in January?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TantalizedMind, Dec 15, 2007.

1. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Hey guys. Is there even anything to update for the Mini? I want a newer Mac by February. Money is not an issue, but I will not WASTE money for getting something that I really don't need. Thought about a mac pro to sit next to the PowerMac G5, but don't need all those cores. Don't want the iMac... Don't want Windows... hello Mac Mini.

For the most part I use my G5 currently for internet, music server, photo, and word processing. I have a G4 Cube that is (just for now) for show. I'll probably pick up a Mini after MacWorld if nothing better shows up.

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I wouldn't expect one but it wouldn't hurt to wait the month until the expo.

3. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Werent they going to discontinue the Mini by now?

4. MST macrumors 6502

MST

I'm really hoping that the Mini is going to get discontinued so that I can pick one up on the cheap, any ideas how much the price will drop if this happens?

5. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

Given the general Mac market the price will probably rise a little if it is discontinued!

Probably get a few retailers selling at a slight discouint for 50ns first though ;-)

I could do with a new mini myself, I prefer to hope for an update to put it in line with the macbook (which is basically a mini with a screen in a different package, or at least when compared to the relevent release macbook)

6. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Apple's most recent updates:

Aluminium iMac
    C2D Mini
    SR MacBook

... my sources say no. I'd love for them to just rebrand the Mini as :apple:tv and throw in component and HDMI output. That's all it'd need (and perhaps the internal power supply)

7. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

To be honest I agree with most people here, the mini is more likely to be discontinued than upgraded!

8. MST macrumors 6502

MST

You're probably right, at the moment there are brand new Minis on eBay selling for less than a refurb at the Apple online refurb store, how ridiculous is that!? I'm kicking myself really because I think I just missed out on a steal of a G5 iMac on eBay earlier on today, I wish I could find the link!

9. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

Apple has no reason to discontinue the mini. it serves them as a low-overheard way to unload old chip stock. the profit margin on them is likely quite high and it fills a gaping hole in their product lineup.

and for the original poster; my Intel mini replaced my dual G5 and i've been really pleased with it. takes up a fraction of the space, has equal or better power for what i'm doing (audio mostly) and doesn't heat up the entire house.

10. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

The Mini also fills several niches such as CarPCs. My company uses them in a specialized application in medical labs attached to digital microscope cameras to capture video and still images. Having a full size tower would be quite cumbersome and a laptop is awkward and more expensive. For applications like this, the only alternative would be to go with a MiniPC.

11. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

I, for one, hope that if it's not updated that at least it won't be discontinued.

I can't understand why people think it's underpowered when it's at least as powerful as a PowerMac G5.

Also, if the Mac mini is no good, then it also means the MacBook is also no good because they're basically the same specifications (GPU aside, at least for now). You can buy two Mac mini for the price of one MacBook or an entry-level iMac, so it fills a price range that was seriously lacking in Apple's lineup before.

12. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

People usually make excuses for power(or lack thereof) in notebooks, as they have portability. But so does the Mini! I took it with me around the world in '05, in my hand luggage!

I couldn't have gotten into Macs when I did if it wasn't for the Mini. It was the only "portable" Mac I could afford on my travel budget 3 years ago, and made for a great smooth transition into the Apple world.

At home, I ran my G4 Mini and PIV box side by side until I found myself using the PIV less and less.. then I was switched :D I have the Mini to thank for that!

I don't want to see it discontinued either, I really think throwing in component and HDMI outputs then rebranding it the new :apple:tv is the way to go. Component and HDMI in the ACDs too for uniformity. Do it Apple! Hire me already, I'll make you money.

(Also, 500 posts - w00t! :D)

13. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

I think so , too. And I think thats a bummer, I like the Mini. Its a powerfull "cute" machine. But when I go for a Mac , I will go for the MacBook or maybe iMac, not the Mini.