Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mvksagar45

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Hello All..I have a new 13' MBP base model (like 3 months old)...Just saw they released the MBA...the 13' MBA is really good....with better display and all....so what do you guys suggest ? is it worth an upgrade ..like sell my MBP in craig list and buy the new MBA...

The deal i got :

Selling my MBP For 900$..
Will get an MBA 13 inch for 1299 - 100 = 1199(student discount ) and no tax(as i am in Delaware)

SO is the 300$ worth it ? Please advise....

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I personally don't like the silver screen bezel on the Air but am very happy it finally has a backlit keyboard.

The 13" MacBook Pro is still a faster machine than the Air, with a much sturdier frame.

Only you can decide if that deal works for you and is worth the $300. For me....not so much.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I personally don't like the silver screen bezel on the Air but am very happy it finally has a backlit keyboard.

The 13" MacBook Pro is still a faster machine than the Air, with a much sturdier frame.

Only you can decide if that deal works for you and is worth the $300. For me....not so much.

i agree, especially with the comment about the bezel. the resolution on the mbp is fine, and i quite like the solid plate of glass.

speaking more about getting stuff done, though, the mbp is faster, with more memory, and also has more upgradable options, for less money. the big difference is between portability and ultra portability.

you gotta do what you gotta do, but i have no urge to downgrade to an mba :)

marshallbedsaul

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Utah
Hello All..I have a new 13' MBP base model (like 3 months old)...Just saw they released the MBA...the 13' MBA is really good....with better display and all....so what do you guys suggest ? is it worth an upgrade ..like sell my MBP in craig list and buy the new MBA...

The deal i got :

Selling my MBP For 900$..
Will get an MBA 13 inch for 1299 - 100 = 1199(student discount ) and no tax(as i am in Delaware)

SO is the 300$ worth it ? Please advise....

why would you sell a 3 month old system? you just wasted money it seems. I would keep it and just use it. The spec bump is not really gonna change that much for you.

Maschil

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
Mississippi
why would you sell a 3 month old system? you just wasted money it seems. I would keep it and just use it. The spec bump is not really gonna change that much for you.

exactly... if you want an air... just get a refurbished one form the apple store.... for me... i like the air because its thin.. etc.... but that macbook pro allows you to have mroe space etc..... plus as was mentioned its only 3 months old... maybe sale the mac book pro right before the new one comes out then buy an air......no point in losing 300 for what some people may feel as a downgrade...

Vihzel

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
You'll realize how bad the resolution is on the 13" MBP after you use a 13" MBA for a while. The screen on the MBP looks very pixelated compared to the MBA. That alone is enough for me. You need to figure out your needs first. Over the past 3 months, have you felt like you really needed the processor power for tasks like video encoding? or have you just been using it like a student that doesn't do very CPU intensive tasks? Anyways... if you only needed the processor power a few times... is it really necessary to have that powerful of a processor? Keep in mind that the MBA does have it's definite advantages:

Thinness and weight (1.5lbs difference)
Screen real estate (1440x900 vs. below industry average 1280x800)
SSD standard (if you want the base 13" MBP with SSD, that'll make it a base price of $1449 vs. 1299 of the base MBA)

The SSD will be an extremely noticeable improvement over an HDD in your everyday tasks with the processor power difference only in CPU intensive tasks. If you don't do CPU intensive tasks, then why bother when the 1.7 i5 is definitely powerful enough?

Last edited:

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
MBP + iPad + iPhone = perfect system for the busiest of the busiest. My point: these kinds of things are all based on personal preference. I agree with posters above - you just waste money if you sell 3 month old system.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
the resolution on the mbp is fine, and i quite like the solid plate of glass.
While some don't like the glare of the glossy screen due to the glass, it doesn't bother me. The glass protects the screen much better and takes away the fear of damage due to cleaning it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.