update from 4.3 to 6.01

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MacSteve67, Nov 5, 2012.

1. MacSteve67 macrumors newbie

Hello, my friend has had an iPhone 4 for ages and has never updated it. It currently has IOS 4.3. She would like to update to IOS 6 but she doesn't have a computer. She has never connected her iPhone to iTunes. Can I connect her iPhone to my computer iTunes in order to do the update? Is it ok even if I already connect two other iPhones? Will she keep her own apps, music and photos?

2. blaake macrumors regular

As long as you do a back up and name it something you can remember, you can update any phone on any computer or multiple phones on one computer. You will have to re download all the apps that were free

3. MacSteve67 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanx. But what about the Music and other content? By the way, could she enter my computer iTunes under her own Apple ID and password? Would this prevent from messing up my own iTunes settings?

4. blaake macrumors regular

I have my itunes account on my computer and it is the only account on there. I have updated several others phones and it did not effect my settings, songs, etc. It will back up pictures, messages, contacts, and the layout of her phone(background and where her apps are and it will remake any folders she has.

For the music, im not 100% so i do not want to tell you one thing and something else happen. if the songs are purchased correctly and directly through apple, i would think you just have to either A, re download them after the backup(as long as youre using the same itunes account they should remain free) or B, automatically back them up.