Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jasmynp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2011
East Coast, USA
Greetings Folks,

As the title suggests, I have a 2010 refurb iMac coming. I also have an iPad. I'm thinking of selling my 2011 MBA. I'm graduating in a few weeks so I won't have the same need for a portable solution and I'm a pretty good typist on my iPad so long emails etc aren't a problem. I've nearly convinced myself that my MBA will no long be necessary. Is therea point I'm missing about why I should keep the MBA?

Last edited by a moderator:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Only you can decide if you need a portable. I hardly ever use my laptop now we have an iPad. IPad is for browsing, emails and games. If I need to do anything more (or if my wife is using it) I go to the study and use the desktop. When the laptop dies I doubt I will buy another, unless my circumstances change. If you don't need it just sell it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
As long as the iPad does everything you need when using away from your iMac, then yeah go for it.

Ultimately only you can make the decision whether its a good move to sell the MBA.

Jasmynp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2011
East Coast, USA
Thanks guys. Im pretty sure I can do without it. I supposed after my imac arrives Monday, my MBA will appear on Craig's list Tuesday.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
I am an iMac/MBA/iPad user. My MBA gets used the least and will probably be sold soon. It really depends on how much work, serious programs you need to use on the good. I do my serious work on the iMac and so the iPad works well for a portable device. For consuming, it is hard to beat the iPad. YMWV.

Jasmynp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2011
East Coast, USA
Well I think I've decided. I'm gonna keep my MBA. I don't like the idea of not having a back up computer. (I'm kind of spooked by the folks who report having display or hard drive issues with their iMacs.) Luckily I didn't buy the iMac with the idea of offsetting the cost of it with the sale of my MBA. It doesn't hurt having another computer.

Jasmynp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2011
East Coast, USA
And the story continues

My MBA arrived Thursday. It's gorgeous! I'm no longer considering selling my MBA not because I know I won't need it, but because my husband has fallen in love too. This is the same quy who said he'd sworn off desktops. I woke up this morning to find that he'd taken over my desk and created a new user! Guess I'll need the MBA more than I thought.

~Written from my MBA since my iMac is occupied at the moment.

EricT43

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
I like having all three - iMac, MBP, and iPad.

The iPad is great for casual stuff, taking with me on my lunch break to read or watch TV episodes, etc. But I can't stand typing on it, so I don't use it for anything serious.

The MBP 13" is great for sitting on the porch, helping my son with his homework, or taking with me when I travel. I cannot be away from home overnight without a computer. Just took it to a conference for 3 days, and thanks to Parallels (VirtualBox if you want a free solution) I could leave my work laptop at home :) My 6-yr-old son also uses it. I set him up at the kitchen counter with PBSKids.org, and he loves it. The 27" iMac, and the desk upon which it rests, are too big for him to use.

Then the iMac is what I use for "serious" work. By that, I mean gaming, lol. I do my serious work on it as well, though, and photos and video stuff. It's my favorite of the three for sure. Especially now that I've put an SSD in it, I love to use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.