update graphics card

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Boston007, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Boston007 macrumors 6502

Boston007

I have a MacPro 2008 3,1 with the Nvidia GT8800 running Lion.

Would I see any improvement on my applications and gaming if I upgrade the graphics card?

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

3. Boston007 thread starter macrumors 6502

Boston007

WOW really?

Any problems running under Lion? Is there a difference in getting the Mac version versus the PC version and then update to Mac firmware?

Thank you very much.

4. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Yes. The Mac version is plug and play, the PC card will need tweaking/ flashing. I think all you need is 10.6.7 or higher including 10.7-10.7.2.

5. Boston007 thread starter macrumors 6502

Boston007

Thanks for the info!

6. HawkEye40 macrumors member

Running the 5870 fine in a 3,1 with Lion, it's a tight fit but it works :)

7. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

hang on, think you forgot to mention something about no boot screens/dvdplayer etc if you go a flashed card unless they've solved those issues now??? (

8. kingtj macrumors 68020

Yep....

I just bought an ATI 6870 1GB card last night to try to re-flash for my 2008 Mac Pro. So far, I'm not having a lot of luck.

Basically, out of the box (before re-flashing or modifying anything), OS X Lion 10.7.2 recognized the card and used it without any major issues. However, without reflashing it first, it lacks the "EFI" info the Mac needs to display the initial gray boot screen (including the one you get when you hold down option at boot, to select from multiple drives to boot from). Additionally, Apple's DVD Player crashes every time it's launched.

The thing is though? Beyond this part, I'm stuck. I read a lot of info about people who claimed they got DVD Player working and addressed a few other incompatibility issues with a replacement video driver and/or kext file -- but the "6870 package" I found someplace to download, unzip and run didn't fix my DVD Player crashes at all. I'm starting to think if anything, it may have just replaced my Lion 10.7.2 ATI drivers with some older version?

I'm having no luck on the card re-flashing front either. I dumped the original card's firmware using my Windows 7 "boot camp" partition to boot from and running the "GPU-Z" utility. But when I use the "Zeus" application in OS X to try to add the EFI code to the BIOS file I saved? Zeus always crashes with an AppleScript error.

9. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

Have you checked and read up on cindori's golden guide?