Update has slowed down boot time

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacBookPro13", May 8, 2011.

1. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

Since the latest MacBook Pro update my boot time has gone from 25 seconds to around 40 seconds.

Did a fresh install of Snow Leopard and it was back to around 25 seconds. Did software update and installed update again and it's back to around 35-40 seconds.

Anyone else experienced slower boot times since the update?

Anything I can do to get my 25 second boot time back?

2. mizzoucat macrumors regular

I don't know what mine was prior to updating but my boot time is 35-40 seconds with the 13" base model.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Look at your Login Items, LaunchAgents and LaunchDaemons to see what's launching during startup.

4. M Powered macrumors regular

This is weird. The updates decreased my boot time from 20 sec to like 15 sec. The spinning wheel under the apple logo no longer even pops up, its that fast.

5. double t33 macrumors newbie

this has happened to me to on a baseline 2011 13inch

was getting around 25-28s constantly which was great but since the update getting 45s :confused:

6. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

After installing the update I noticed that boot time would occasionally take a very long time (50+ sec) and I would get "beachballs" for the first 3 min, without even opening any app. But most of the time the boot time is still between 30-35 sec. The reboot time, on the other hand, is actually faster (~35 sec) than pre-update (40+ sec).

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Why do people care so much about boot time? Realistically speaking, how often do you actually go through a boot cycle and not just wake from sleep?

I can seriously count with one hand the number of times I boot from shutdown in a single year.

8. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Because increased boot times might indicate a decrease in system performance.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not true. Bootup performance isn't a valid indicator of system performance when running normally.

10. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Of course it's true. The reason people are concerned with boot times is: "Because increased boot times might indicate a decrease in system performance." As far as judging system performance solely by boot time, I agree. Though I have to say, people here do have a habit of comparing SSD boot times with HDD boot times.