Update help

martymar112

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
i have a 2011 MacBook Pro that has been running slow and keeps having internet issues. I updated the To an add hard drive. I saved all my work and pictures to a External hard drive. What’s the best way to clean up the MacBook Pro and reset to factory settings and then update to the new iOS

Audit13

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
You could create a time machine backup of the old drive, install the SSD, install a fresh copy of your existing os, and use migration assistant to restore data.

martymar112

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
I want nothing backed up. I want to erase everything and update the os on it. How would I do that?

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
Marty -

Does the 2011 MBP still have the original platter-based hard drive in it?

If so, you can GREATLY SPEED THINGS UP by replacing it with an SSD. They are getting VERY affordable now, depending on what size you need.

This is a simple procedure and ANYBODY can do it.
If a dumb ol' ox like me can do it, YOU can do it.

Also, if you buy an SSD and a USB3 external enclosure like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Tool-free-Enclosure-Optimized-EC-UASP/dp/B00OJ3UJ2S/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=usb3+external+enclosure+2.5&qid=1562250931&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

... you can use the enclosure to "prepare and test" the new SSD BEFORE you install it -- and get it set up "just as you like".

When you take the old drive out, and have the MBP running with the new one, you can erase the old drive, and then use it for either a backup (of the new, clean OS) or for external storage.

One other question:
What size is the DISPLAY on the 2011 MBP?

martymar112

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
I ha e already installed the ssd a year ago. Sorry for the miss understanding. How do I go about making my MacBook Pro just like I bought it. And then update with the new OS

CoastalOR

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
How do I go about making my MacBook Pro just like I bought it. And then update with the new OS
Use Internet Recovery (cmd+option+r keys at startup) to erase the internal drive and install the OS that shipped with your 2011 MBP (Lion (10.7) for a late MBP or Snow Leopard (10.6) via the install DVDs that shipped with a early MBP). Then use the App Store to install the newest macOS supported on the 2011 MBP (High Sierra (10.13) is the max OS, Mojave (10.14) is NOT supported).
High Sierra:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208969
NOTE: The requirements for updating to High Sierra is macOS Mountain Lion, which is newer than the OS than the factory OS that shipped with the MBP, so there will be problems. If you do not already own Mountain Lion is will cost $19.99 from Apple.

I would recommend downloading the High Sierra installer and making a bootable High Sierra installer before you wipe your MBP:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372
Boot from the USB installer, erase your internal drive, and then install High Sierra.

Last edited: