UPDATE !! I am killing myself about this...help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ChrisDepew, Mar 21, 2012.

  1. ChrisDepew, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012

    ChrisDepew macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2012
    #1
    Okay, my MB went out on my windows machine (thank God) and now I have to purchase a new machine. I cannot bring myself to decide between the MBA and the MBP. Also, I am interested in waiting to see what the new iterations are but don't know that I can wait as I have things due. So, for the people that have undoubtedly been down this road. What did you choose and how happy are you with your choice. I have been reading posts on here for a couple of days and still nothing makes me choose. So, please help.

    Here is what I do on a machine.

    Write - research and other things
    Carry it with me everywhere
    Put an opening menu on counseling videos (no real editing)
    Blog
    email
    research

    There is the possibility that I would load an OEM of W7 on bootcamp just incase, but highly unlikely.

    Should I pull the trigger now and just get one or wait for the new iteration to come out, depending on the timeline?

    Thanks so Much.
     
  2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

    Macman45

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2011
    Location:
    Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
    #2
    Who knows the timeline? If you need now, and from your list of requirements I'd go with a 13" 256MB MBA.

    If the screen is too small on that, then a 15" MBP would easily do what you want...Best advice is to go to a store and compare.
     
  3. yetieater macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 6, 2007
    Location:
    USA
    #3
    Yes, and don't forget the 11" MBA is also a very robust machine. Both the 13" MBA and the MBPs have the added advantage of a dedicated SD card slot, if you're into that sort of thing.
     
  4. ChrisDepew thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2012
    #4
    13 is as big as I would go. I am not sure that I could work on an 11 screen all day. But for the money savings I might be able to I don't know. I doubt it.

    With the MBA I worry about the longevity of the hardware. I don't want to not be able to upgrade to the next two or three version of OSX when they come out. You think the MBA 13" version will be strong enough to hold up to several updates?
     
  5. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2009
    Location:
    Lincoln, UK
    #5
    It sounds like the Air will have enough performance for you, and is more portable. Very useful if you are going to carry it everywhere.
     
  6. Sith Vol macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2011
    Location:
    Memphis, TN
    #6
    Wirelessly posted

    What's the return rate for computers? 30 days? If so, buy it and then if the new models are announced within that 30 days return it and buy the new model.
     
  7. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

    andiwm2003

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2004
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #7
    there is always somebody around who can borrow you a notebook for a while. I have a spare one that I gave to friends on several occasions. For office and internet it's always good enough. So you are not in a hurry. Wait for the updates and decide after looking at them in the store.
     
  8. dakwar macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2010
    #8
    I also think the 13" MBA is the right match for your needs. And I too suggest you wait for the new ones to come out. Do whatever it takes to hold off until then.
     
  9. ChrisDepew thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2012
    #9
    Update!!

    I plan on waiting for the new refresh. Still, I think (depending on the update) I might go with a Pro model and get it with the 128g SSD. THis will give me a little of both worlds. It will also allow me to remove the optical and put in an additional SSD once the prices start dropping. Does this sound like a decent idea?

    It really depends on how they update. If they remove the Optical in the refresh then that is a moot point. I think that it will be great to have the faster processor, more ramm, and a SSD.
     
  10. Tinger macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2011
    #10
    Go for the 13" MBA

    I don't see why you'd be unhappy with the current MBA. Only wildcard is space, and you haven't really mentioned any need to lug around large photo, music or video libraries.

    I have a 2011 version 256GB i5, and it's a terrific computer for all-day use and it's a delight to travel with. Very fast. The MBA 11 is a REALLY great form factor, but I also worried about screen size and battery life vs. the 13. No regrets here. I also skipped on the i7 processor for reasons of battery life and lack of processing needed for what I'm doing.

    If you don't need the horsepower of the separate graphics card in the pro or the included optical drive, it's hard to know why you'd need the pro.

    But, if the rumors are right, the refresh is coming..... Decisions decisions.
     
  11. Les Kern macrumors 68040

    Les Kern

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2002
    Location:
    Alabama
    #11
    "Carry it with me everywhere"

    Air. Hands down. Finest all-purpose laptop I have ever used.
     
  12. ChrisDepew thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2012
    #12
    My main concern with going with an air is upgrades to the OS. You know that newer OS are going to eat more Ram and I can't upgrade the air. So, I am worried that the longevity of the air is not that of a pro. Does that make sense? I would need to get 4-5 years out of it at a minimum. Or I would like to anyway.
     
  13. hafr macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2011
    #13
    The MBA has less RAM, but the SSD means running out of RAM isn't nearly as noticeable as when using a regular HDD.

    I can't tell the future, but based on the past I can tell you that as long as you're using the computer for what you've stated earlier - the MBA will last you five years (unless it breaks down). Also, remember that computers don't become slower - it's the software that becomes more demanding. The more careful you are in terms of upgrading your software unless you really, really have to, the longer a computer will "last".

    But hey, whichever one you get, you can always sell it to about refurb price and get the other one should you feel you made the wrong choice. It'll cost you a few bucks, but maybe it'll save you some headache trying to decide :)
     
  14. burne macrumors 6502

    burne

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2007
    Location:
    Haarlem, the Netherlands
    #14
    If you cannot wait, buy the cheapest second-hand machine you can find. Use it for a couple of months. A 2009 or 2010 macbook you buy now for say 800-900 dollar is easy to sell for 700-800 in a few months. A hundred bucks for a second hand machine for 5-6 months is cheap. It covers your current needs, and doesn't require you to buy a machine you perhaps don't want in a couple of months.
     

Share This Page