Update iOS 6.x to iOS 6.1.2

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Otterblue, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Otterblue macrumors member

Grrr... so I just received a replacement iPhone 5 in the mail today and it came pre-loaded with iOS 6.0.2. The problem is my previous iPhone's backup was on iOS 6.1.2 (jailbroken) and now iTunes won't let me restore my backup unless I update to the latest iOS version. Is there anything that can be done about it? I can live without jailbreak but it does come in handy at times (tethering, NCsettings, custom icons :cool:). I assume Apple has stopped signing iOS 6.1.2 as I encountered an error when I tried to to an option+restore in iTunes.

Should I update or stay with the outdated iOS 6.0.2 (with none of my app settings and files :( ) until iOS 6.1.3 gets jailbroken?

2. ~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

You can only restore a backup to a device that is at or above the firmware version that the backup was made at. Whether you update or jailbreak at 6.0.2 and stay there really depends on how important those app settings and files are compared to the ability to be jailbroken to you. If you want to jailbreak then unfortunately you will be stuck at 6.0.2 since Apple is no longer signing anything other than iOS 6.1.3. It will probably be a while before the next jailbreak. I really doubt that the people developing the jailbreak will want to burn an exploit on 6.1.3. Sucks, I know.

3. Otterblue thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm stuck with iOS 6.0.2 then.

Is there a way (iBackupBot, etc) to export the 6.1.2 backfiles then import them to the current backup?

4. regkilla macrumors 6502

regkilla

There is nothing wrong with iOS 6.0.2. I get great battery life on my iPhone 5.

5. Apple4 macrumors newbie

Jb

I was just about to buy an ipad 4, but my question is the following: iPad is shipped with iOS 6.0. The latest version that is jailbreakable is 6.1.2 . So how can i resolve the update process to STOP at 6.1.2? I think when the update is applied , it will automatically update to the latest version (6.1.3) so no chance to jailbreak. Thanks for the answer!

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

An iPad 4 will not necessarily ship with 6.0
    It will come with whatever firmware was current when it was manufactured.
    There is no way to install unsigned firmware on it.

7. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

I just had to pick up a replacement, and it's at 6.0. I'm searching for a way to update to 6.1.2. Any help?

8. ~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

Since Apple is no longer signing 6.1.2 there is no way to upgrade an iPad 4 to that firmware version.

9. Mansur macrumors newbie

Can iPad 2 with 6.1.2 be jailbroken

My freind has an iPad 2 with 6.1.2 can it be jailbroken with Evasi0n?
    Even though Apple is not signing the iOS 6.1.2
    It's never been jailbroken before

10. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Yes, sigining of firmware is only necessary for restoring.
    Your friend can jailbreak with evasi0n.

11. Mansur macrumors newbie

Thank you Sir for the quick response

12. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

IF you can live without it where's the issue. Just update the software and load your stuff. THen when 6.1.3 gets JB'd go for it.

----------

i would look into how folks were downgrading back to iOS 5 etc. It would seem to me that they had some other software loading the iOS files to avoid such a call out. That solution should work in this case.

That if if the ipad doesn't have 6.1.2 on it. As some of have mentioned, the iOS version is updated when the unit is produced so everything as the latest software per the date of creation.

well white box. I just got an ipad 3 replaced at the bar and I'm sure it hasn't been there for a year and yet it had 5.1.1 on it. to me that is stupid. They want everyone on the latest software, they won't swap in some cases if you aren't and the issue could be software. And yet they hand you a swap that isn't.

13. mcfaraz macrumors newbie

Changing iOS version in the backup file

locate your backup on your computer.
    For Windows, it's at "C:/Documents and Settings/[USERNAME]/Application Data/Apple Computer/MobileSync/Backup". For Mac, it's "~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup"
    Locate your latest backup and search for the info.plist file. Edit it with a text editor and look for this string: <key>Product Version</key>
    Change 6.1.2 to 6.0.2 and save.
    You can now restore to this backup on 6.0.2.

14. lechuga macrumors newbie

DUDE. THANKS! WOW.

I had the exact same problem as the OP. I'll stick with 6.0.2 and jailbreak this version for now.

Too bad 6.1.2 isn't being signed.

THANKS AGAIN!

15. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Anyone have experience doing this?

16. eirikcerto macrumors newbie

Cant find the file

I am having the same issue... I am on windows 8 & cannot find the file being described. I have checked everywhere in my C drive. Any suggestions please? I am on 6.0.2 iPhone 5 & trying to use my 6.1.2 restore. Thank you.

17. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

You can not restore to 6.1.2. You can only restore to the current which is 6.1.3 right now

18. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

I was all set to try this, then my replacement came with 6.1.2 :D good luck!

19. codeblack721 macrumors newbie

Ok I realise & accept that I can't go from Jailbroken 6.0.2 to 6.1.2, but I do have a curious question. If redmondpie, Evasion brings out a untethered version for 6.1.3 & Apple updates ios to (let's say) 6.2.0 & I don't get to Evasion in time to jailbreak, Am I stuck on 6.0.2 AGAIN?

Surely, if we can put a man on the moon, Jailbreak Apple devices & Untether ios's, we can get around Apple's signature & update to any version ios that we please.

20. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

Assuming that does happen and 6.2 patches the jailbreak used for 6.1.3, then yes, you will be stuck on 6.0.2 if you want the jailbreak

And surely those people are paid millions of dollars to do so. Now if someone had that much money to bribe apple to let us update/downgrade to any version :rolleyes:

It's just that an exploit hasn't been found yet to work around the problem. It goes through a server check so unless you hack apple's server (which is illegal), there has to be local ways around it. The bootrom exploit is the most notable one

21. codeblack721 macrumors newbie

hehehe--Yeah I know, I've just been unlucky in the past not getting in before an ios update.