Update iPad 3 to iOS 6.1.3?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Sparky2012, May 13, 2013.

1. Sparky2012 macrumors 6502

Sparky2012

Hi, I'm wondering if I should update my iPad 3 to IOS 6.1.3, I'm on IOS 5.1 at the moment and would really like some of the new features of IOS 6. My main concern is the battery life on IOS 6.1.3 on the iPad 3 compared to IOS 5.1. Any help would be appreciated :)

2. sbailey4, May 13, 2013
    Last edited: May 15, 2013

sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Well its a crap shoot. Most users have no issue but every since iOS 6 users have had horrible experience with WIFI connectivity and stability. Most seems to have been iP5 users (since it came with 6)and iPad users from what I have seen. Personally I have had no issues at all with a couple 4s's and lots of friends with 4s but do have a buddy that lost wifi immediately on his iPad after the update. He has to be within 3 ft of the router to connect. Anyway most likely you will be fine but just throwing that out there as it has been an on going issue since iOS 6. Of course some users report poor battery on 6.1.3but that's the same as with every other version of iOS so it seems. Again no issue for me.

3. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

iOS 6 brings lots of new features to the iPad 3. I can't think of a reason to not upgrade it!

4. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I would say the only reason NOT to update is if you have any intention of jailbreaking your iPad 3, since 6.1.3 cannot be jailbroken, and it's not looking like it ever will. If you are not going to jailbreak, go for the update.

5. lexvo macrumors 65816

I updated my iPad 3 to iOS 6.1.3 week ago and I have no problems at all. Battery life and WiFi are fine.

6. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

Which specific features in iOS 6 are you wanting to use that isn't available in iOS 5?

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Battery life issues on iOS6 are reported by some for iPhone.
    With respect to iPad, the battery life on an iPad is significantly much better due to the absence of size limitations for the battery.

8. sandwicher macrumors member

Do not upgrade. I upgraded my ipad 3 to iOS 6 and has been lagging so much ever since. The ipad cannot handle iOS 6 at all. Sigh.

9. Sparky2012 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sparky2012

Thanks for all your help guys. I updated my iPad and performance seems a bit better compared to IOS 5.1, I feel as if my battery drains a little bit quicker but I'll wait maybe a week to see if that is indeed the case.

Sandwicher I would advise restoring your iPad cause as I say I haven't experienced any performance issues.

Many thanks again

10. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Don't talk nonsense.

I've been using iOS 6 since day one on my 3 and there's no "lag" that you speak off. Try doing basic housekeeping on your device, but don't tar every single iPad with the same brush because yours happens to be running "laggy". :rolleyes:

11. sandwicher macrumors member

There, there. No need to be rude.

What i said was nothing but the truth. Truth is, I restored my iPad multiple times after upgrading to iOS6 and the performance is still "laggy".

What "basic housekeeping" are you talking about here. This is Apple. By right, there is "no requirement" for any "housekeeping". It should just work.

I was, afterall, merely offering my experience and suggestion. Take a chill pill.

12. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I have an iPad 3 and iPad 4, both on iOS6
    Both have great battery life and neither lags.

And I have not read that this is an issue for iPads.

13. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

The issue is with your iPad, not iOS 6 and not the hardware. iPad 3 on iOS 6 is not "laggy". Not being rude, just telling you the facts. Just because YOUR device is having a brainfart, doesn't mean every iPad 3 owner should avoid iOS 6 like the plague.

By housekeeping I mean either ensuring you close apps from the multi-tasking tray when not in use. Yes, they should be booted out of the memory after 20 minutes of inactivity but some apps can crash and remain active in the background, causing issues. Also, if you restore from a backup and your backup has a glitch, you're simply restoring the glitch back on there after you install your backup. When restoring, always set up as a "New iPad/iPhone" for a truly fresh restore.