update iphone firmware with different computer?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by shearm, Sep 27, 2007.

1. shearm macrumors member

shearm

I activated my iPhone with my home Mac, but im on a business trip with my windows xp (uck) laptop. can i update the iPhone with the windows machine safely -- and without erasing all my stuff?

2. MrClean12 macrumors newbie

I was able to perform the update on my work computer with no problems, even though I normally sync with my Mac at home. All contacts, music, videos etc remained as they were before the update.

3. cgray24 macrumors member

I was able to update as well from another computer (mac) when normally I sync with another (PC)

I only had one weird time bug (the time was 5 hours ahead) untill i sync'd with my regular computer at home.

4. shearm thread starter macrumors member

shearm

5. Phenixone macrumors newbie

Phenixone

Everything said before is correct, you can update your (windows)iPhone on a Mac, but the other way around is not possible simply because when you sync your iphone with a mac it is formated with HFS (Mac partition format) which you cannot read from a PC.

You could still try, but make sure you're not hitting that erase and sync button (ooh I hate this button)

6. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I know this is kind of an old thread, but I just found it when 3.1.2 came out while I was at work, and I thought this was worth correcting.

What Phenixone says above is NOT accurate. You can upgrade an iPhone that is usually synced to a Mac with a PC.

My iPhone syncs to my Mac Pro at home. I just upgraded it using 64 bit Vista Business at my office.

FYI