Update iPhone on a different computer

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by craigc1264, Oct 17, 2010.

1. craigc1264 macrumors newbie

My wife currently has an iPhone 3G. She has some pretty old software on there and really needs to update to the most recent software. She previously would sync with her laptop. Her laptop is not completely fried, and we can't afford a new one quite yet. I have an iPhone 4 that I sync on my Mac. We have totally different music, calendars, contacts, etc... on our phones. Is it possible for me to plug in her phone, update software, and keep all of her old stuff from her phone saved in like a backup file or something so that I can just drop all her old music, pictures, contacts, and calendar back onto her phone instead of it updating her phone with all my stuff?

Or is there an easier/better way to do this?

2. jamied95 macrumors 6502

If you make a backup, and then upgrade, it should just work, I think.

3. craigc1264 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK. So how do I make a backup? Just plug it in? With my phone as soon as I plug it in it starts to sync. Won't hers do the same?

4. craigc1264 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Nobody else has any suggestions??

5. mattydee87 macrumors regular

When you plug it in it should say it's synced with another itunes library and would you like to sync, so click no. Then when you click update it should ask if you want to make a backup first.

I would also create your wife an account on your Mac (or at least her own iTunes library) and import all her photos, use an app (expod works good for me, includes playlists) to copy across all her music first and also transfer her purchases/apps using the iTunes "transfer purchases" just in case anything does go wrong because then at least she will still have most of her stuff saved.