update issue: 'There are purchased iTunes items on your iPhone...'

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by patent10021, Mar 10, 2011.

1. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

When trying to update I get this message. There are purchased iTunes items on your iPhone that are not in your iTunes library. Are you sure you want to continue? This issue is posted all over the net and the solution usually is to transfer purchases from iPhone to iTunes via right-click -> Transfer purchases. I already know about this feature. I've authorized my computer, transferred purchases etc but I still get the message. I've gone ahead and updated to 4.3 anyway but I'd like to get rid of this message once and for all.

NOTE: When I transfer purchases iTunes starts but then stops very quickly. It's like it was going to transfer the purchases but then it craps out. I feel like I might not be getting accurate backups.

Any ideas? Thanks

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

That's because there is nothing or very little to transfer. It wont overwrite media, that is already in your library.

3. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

That's what I was thinking but then why would iTunes keep displaying that message?

Also I've had instances in the past where I backed-up my iPhone and was glad I did because I needed to restore before but when I restored everything was different. Tons of apps were missing, home screen was different etc. Quite scary.

However it seems that no matter what goes hairy the Apple apps get properly backed-up which is good because my address book is the important thing.

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I don't have a clue where that message is coming from. I've had it before, but it has alsways been legit.

I have never experienced that. May be time to reinstall iTunes and all associated programs.