**Update** It was too optimistic to think...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by queshy, Oct 10, 2007.

1. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

that my 2nd iPod touch would be perfect. #2 (a week 39) has a green stuck pixel right in the center of the screen. If it can't be repaired, it's going back, and maybe the 3rd time will be a charm.

2. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Awesome.

3. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

Sarcasm?

Sorry to rant...but I'm just pretty angry. Even the demo unit they had had stuck pixels!

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Queshy, I'd like you to meet the new Apple QC:p

5. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

lol.

When I bought a nintendo DS on launch day the first one had a dead pixel...but the 2nd one was fine. cell phones have pretty high dense/res screens and none of the cell phones we have at home exhibit pixel anomalies.

I really wonder how many I would have to go through to get a perfect one. I'll go try one more and then I'll just ask for a refund...it's such a pain going back and forth to the store. Just a good thing I'm not dealing with the genius bar to add onto all the hassle...

6. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

So I go back to the store and the customer service guy looks at it and he sees it right away. He offers to open up the new one with me in the store to check for problems but I declined, thanking him.
    It's way too bright inside the store anyway.

I go inside the car and turn it on...and #3 has a stuck green pixel in the lower left hand side. I was angry so I just drove home...a 4th replacement will surely be messed up too. I'm just gonna keep this one because it's not as noticeable as the first or 2nd one I had.

7. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

What god did you piss off? Sucks, hopefully you find someone on your drive to the Apple store to get the 4th that you can run over, or something. Or I hope that your 4th is perfect, either or.

8. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

Haha, one of the all powerful ones, I'm guessing.

But seriously - I don't think this is due to "luck". I don't really believe in luck. I just thing Apple has a very low QC process...

9. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I just got home from the Apple Store and their week 37's on display were perfect.

Take it back for a week 40...

10. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

I could go back tomorrow for #4, but honestly, do you really think it will make a difference? This one here is a week 39. FS only had week 38's left. I could wait for a week 40, that might help. It's funny how not one of the iPods I've been thru has the -'ve black issue lol

11. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Third time was a charm for me. First two units (both week 37) had negative black, and after the firmware (sort of) alleviated that issue, I noticed a small constellation of stuck pixels on #2. Luckily I had a ticket open with the Apple Store and they let me replace it. Got a week 38 a couple of days ago that has a great screen and no pixel issues.

Knock on wood, bro.

12. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

Keep laughing, you're less likely to go on a rampage.

This is my first Apple product purchased in the past decade, are their devices faulty like this often? It makes me wonder how seriously they will take software updates/additions in the future, with an extreme like this taken on their quality standards. It seems like all they are doing is worrying about speed with no regard to the penalty and thoughts of the customers.

13. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

**Update**

Alright everyone, update time.

I go back to Future Shop to exchange iPod touch #3 for #4. It was the same customer service guy there, and he was pretty surprised to see I was back. He takes the iPod touch and sees the problem right away. He told me that they just got a new batch today so hopefully they're good. I go with him to get a new one, and to my surprise, they're all week 37s. Oh well, I though. there are people out there with perfect week 37s, might as well try. I was quite surprised they received week 37s...weird. Anyway, the customer service guy asked if it was OK if he opened it. I said "sure". He probably didn't trust me because he had probably never see so many hardware problems.

(this is where it gets ugly...)

He opens up #4, turns it on, and goes hey, look at this - there were 3 or 4 green stuck pixels, he noticed them right away. We go back and get #5...he opens up that one, and says "what do you know..." - #5 had the exact same problem except the stuck pixels were all bunched up together.

I promise you - I am not lying - he goes and gets #6. This time, I open it up, and, unsurprisingly, this one, too, has stuck pixels, a whole grave yard of them.

"Wow," he says.

I tell him that I hope Future Shop doesn't have to pay Apple not even one cent for these defective iPods. He even says they ought to write that it comes with stuck pixels on the box...ouch.

At this point, he offers to go open more, but I tell him there's no point, and then he agrees. He said just to wait a few weeks for Apple to sort this out...he gave me a full refund.

I don't think anyone should accept an iPod with stuck pixels. The screen is so small, and you're far more likely to nice a stuck pixel than if it was, say, an LCD 40" TV.

I'm pretty disappointed that so much time was wasted over this. At least they didn't give me any problems, like my local apple store surely would have....

Conclusion - 6 x 16 GB iPod touches, all of which had defects. Poor QC, anyone?

\rant

14. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Conclusion: Week 37 = suck (at least a disproportionate amount of failures)

15. jacktiernan macrumors regular

week 38 here. 1 big ugly black pixel right in the middle of my sreen, a random scattering of about 5 greean ones.

black one in the middle suddenly appeared 1 day outside the 10-day auto-replace period. Now i have to be podless for 2 weeks while they assess it and send it back...hopefully replaced without charge.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

16. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

Isn't it 14 days?