Update iTunes & firmware on 3gs to latest guide?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by geekgirrl, Jul 1, 2011.

1. geekgirrl macrumors newbie

I want to update my itunes and 3gs firmware to the latest version.
    Is there a guide out there that shows me step by step how to do that? I did a search but have not found one yet.
    I "think" you just upgrade itunes to the latest version, back up your phone then upgrade your phone firmware through itunes?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Step 1. Go to www.apple.com/itunes and download iTunes.

Step 2. Install iTunes

Step 3. Plug in your iPhone to your computer and open iTunes

Step 4. Under the summary tab, click update

Step 5. Sit back.

3. geekgirrl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Saving. I already have itunes and just need to upgrade it.
    I was curious of the order.
    I thought you were supposed to upgrade itunes first, then back up your phone then upgrade your phone then restore your date to your phone so you dont lose all your phone data?

4. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

It's really foolproof.

Plug your phone in, check for the latest iPhone software, upgrade! :)

You'll be done in no time at all.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Sorry I didn't respond much sooner,

Other than to use newer features on your phone from iTunes like Genius or Home Sharing, its not necessary to always have the newest iTunes before an update, but if their is a new iTunes update available, their is no harm in updating.

If your just updating your iPhone, iTunes will automatically back-up your device for you and after the update is done, their is no need to restore your data back, just let the update finish and then you can disconnect your iPhone and carry on.

6. geekgirrl thread starter macrumors newbie

Saving, I thought some version of iTunes wouldnt back up your older iphone? I just wanted to be up to date on itunes and the firmware. I have one JB 3gs that is on 3.1.3 I think and mine is not JB and is on 4.0.1 and I want to upgrade them both and not JB anything.
    I'm guessing I upgrade itunes on both pc's (each phone is on a different pc). Then back up the phones then upgrade the phones and restore if necessary. I would guess when itunes upgrades the phone it will restore the data?

7. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Step 1: Pay $100 to Apple for a Developer's account.
    Step 2: Register UDID.
    Step 3: Download iOS 5 and iTunes 10.5.
    Step 5: Open iTunes, hold shift and click restore.
    Step 6: Direct iTunes to the iOS 5 file and wait for the restore to complete.
    Step 7: After restore is complete, install iTunes 10.5.
    Step 8: After iTunes 10.5 is finished installing, click restore from backup.
    Step 9: Wait for the backup to finish restoring.
    Step 10: Done! You have the absolute latest version of iTunes and iOS 5! :D:D:D:D

When iTunes updates the phone, no data is lost or restored.
    When iTunes does the shift-restore-update described above, you have to restore from a backup.

8. geekgirrl thread starter macrumors newbie

Prodo you gave me the Ultimate answer so bonus points for that :)
    I only wanted to upgrade to the latest non developer firmware and iTunes.
    I do wonder how well iOS 5 runs on a 3gs. I heard a rumor that iOS 5 was not going to be offered for the 3gs :(

9. Saberon macrumors 6502a

As far as we know the only thing the 3GS isn't getting is the photo editing, but that may be because its not implemented yet. 3GS pretty much gets everything in iOS5.

10. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Which is buggy. I prefer to wait and hava a fully fucntional IOS, of course there will still be little bugs, but that's what updates are for.