Update jailbroken iPhone - do I need to restore?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Maxq333, May 3, 2011.

1. Maxq333 macrumors newbie

Hi, if I want to update my jailbroken iPhone will I need to restore it before (or at any point during)?
    I realise I'll lose my jailbreak, but I'm just wondering if it would require a restore.

(Sorry if it's been asked over and over again but I can't find anything that directly answers this question.)

2. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

To answer your question, I just upgraded from JB 4.3.1 to JB 4.3.2 without restoring. Just updated to stock 4.3.2 in iTunes, then ran redsn0w over it to jailbreak, then reinstalled all my JB packages.

Not sure if not going through a full restore will have any adverse affects, I certainly haven't noticed any yet though!

3. Maxq333 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh okay, I'm gonna try it now with 4.3.3.

4. johnNYChingaz macrumors member

how did you reinstall you jb packages?

i never tried just updating, i usually do a full restore, the last one i did i wiped everything of my phone and started fresh cus it was a little sluggish and slow, after that is been running nice and smooth

5. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

You reinstall JB packages through Cydia (one by one) or by using AptBackup or PkgBackup or some other app like these.

The update simply overwrites the files on your phone but still keeps everything intact like your music, photos, apps etc. The full restore will wipe out everything making you start from scratch.

I just did a full restore to 4.3.2 since mine was sluggish and slow. You can do either or but I always prefer doing a full restore since it clears everything out.

6. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Wish there was a reliable way to keep packages, icon placements, manually installed deb's, and tweaks without having to-do them all. There's package backup, and apt backup, but it's not a full "click to restore" that would be ideal for me.... so it makes little hops like going from 4.3.2 to 4.3.3 kinda more pain than it's worth.

7. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Don't think 4.3.3 is jailbreakable yet?