Update jailbroken Iphone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by JuustB, Sep 6, 2011.

1. JuustB macrumors newbie

I'm a bit tired of trying to download apps and they do not want to work, because my software is v3.1.x.

I have a jailbroken and unlocked iPhone. I once tried to update it, but it went completely wrong and my iphone was locked again (the connect to itunes message & emergency call..)

I'm a bit afraid of ruining it again and would like some good advice, so I can update and have all my files and settings like before.

2. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

is this for original iPhone, iPhone 3G, or iPhone 3GS?

3. JuustB thread starter macrumors newbie

iPhone 3G. Sorry, didn't notice that I forgot it!

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

If you can get a hold of old, inactivate AT&T sim, just pop it into the phone, hook it to Itune and you can by pass the emergency call screen.

The latest firmware on 3G is 4.2.1 with a baseband of 05.14. Ultrasn0w can't unlock this baseband. So, even you jailbreak your phone, you still can't get it work with other sims.

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You'll need either pwnage or snowbreeze. D/l 4.2.1 and create a custom ipsw with one of the two. Pwnage automatically preserves your bb, but I don't know about the other. Find a tutorial for either software and follow it.
    It's best to have an inactive at&t sim so you don't have to deal with hacktivation. You can buy one off ebay.
    The important thing is to find a good tutorial from either iclarified or jb matrix. Also, read through the archives and focus on the posts where some newbie screwed up their phone. These are things you don't want to do. Read the replies and take notes. Invariably, mistakes are bound to happen and you want to know how to fix it or avoid it altogether.