Update jailbroken Iphone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by JuustB, Jan 4, 2012.

1. JuustB macrumors newbie

Hi

Can I upgrade my jailbroken & unlocked iPhone 3G with version 3.1.X to iOs5?
    If not, what do you recommend then?

And how can I do this in a safe way? (any guides,...?)

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No.
    The highest the iphone 3G can go is 4.2.1

3. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

i recommend you upgrade your phone! 3G still works?!

4. JuustB thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it works. I just want the most recent update for my 3G. But I have no jailbreak experience.

I'm getting annoyed that I can't download or start up almost any new app.

5. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

like AJ said, upgrade yours to 4.2.1 through iTunes, then go to www.iclarified.com for step by step tutorial on how to jail break your phone.

6. JuustB thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha and imagine they're asking €45 (about $60) here in a shop for an update, that probably isn't the best one and loosing all your files...

Tommorow I'll be trying to sychronize as much files to my computer with some programmes I used once. It's a little late over here to start jailbreaking it today.

Result will be posted!

7. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

It not worth it to pay them anything to do this. By doing this, you are learning new skills as well. You can't brick an iPhone by software. So, try it and come back here for guidance if you are facing any issue.

8. JuustB, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012

JuustB thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah that's true.

Is it normal that when you update it with iTunes, the back up will take loooots of time?

Edit: Started speeding up now

9. JuustB thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, so far I've let iTunes update my iPhone. But I don't know if it's updated yet. I only read restore and things like that.

Now it is in the mode that it hasn't got the right sim card in it (cable+itunes logo+emergency call). The iTunes button is now like the new one. Does that mean my phone has got iOs 4.2.1 now ?

Should I start jailbreaking now then or do something else?

10. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

You have restore your phone to the latest 4.2.1 firmware. So, the next thing to do is to go to www.iclarified.com to get tutorial to jailbreak/hactivate your phone so it by pass the activation/emergency screen.

Just one thing, since you upgraded your phone to 4.2.1, baseband 05.14, you might loose the unlocked (if your phone is not factory unlocked). if that the case, then once you jailbreak your phone, you have to install an Ipad baseband in order to unlock it.

11. JuustB thread starter macrumors newbie

Everytime I'm trying to get in DFU mode, Redsn0w automatically shuts down :s And when I restart, during my iPhone is in DFU, Redsn0w just freezes.

What can be wrong here?

12. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Use redsn0w 0.9.6rc16 and make sure you have Internet connection.

13. JuustB thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried the c16 version. But then it always shut down when it was fetching the iPad baseband.

So I searched a little on the net and someone with the same problem, had solved it when he used the 0.9.6b5 version. So I tried the same.

From on then, everything went fluently! Now my phone is jailbroken & unlocked and has 4.2.1 software! I'm very happy!

So I want to thank everyone and especially Crystal-RX for always helping me out when there were problems. Big thanks!

14. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Glad it works out for you. I can't take credit here. It is a team effort and everyone is patience to work through problem and learning from it. Enjoy your phone.