Update "location" of Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Killerbob, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

I am having the most irritating issue; I recently moved home, and still, one month later, my WiFi devices are registered in the wrong location (using Find My Mac) when I am using my home WiFi.

Example; I have a MacBook Air, which is located correctly when I am at work. The same for my MacBook Pro. But when I am home and they are on my home WiFi, the location is all wrong, it is at the old location, where I used to live.

I powered off the Time Capsule, I reset back to factory defaults, and yet nothing seems to matter. If I connect my MacBook Air to my iPhone (with a GPS), it shows the right location, but the second I revert to the Time Capsule WiFi, the location is wrong again.

How do I reset the location of the Time Capsule? I have an AirPort Extreme which is acting the same way...

2. Richdmoore macrumors 65832

Richdmoore

When I moved, I submitted the info here:
    http://www.skyhookwireless.com/howitworks/submit_ap.php

3. Richdmoore macrumors 65832

Richdmoore

Oh, and I would have a gps equipped iphone/ipad turned on near you to try and force an update to be sent to apple directly, but it sounds like you already have been doing that.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4995

Crowd-sourced Wi-Fi and cellular Location Services

If Location Services is on, your device will periodically send the geo-tagged locations of nearby Wi-Fi hotspots and cell towers in an anonymous and encrypted form to Apple, to augment the crowd-sourced database of Wi-Fi hotspot and cell tower locations. In addition, if you are traveling (for example, in a car) and Location Services is on, a GPS-enabled iOS device will also periodically send GPS locations and travel speed information in an anonymous and encrypted form to Apple, to be used for building up a crowd-sourced road traffic database. The crowd-sourced location data gathered by Apple does not personally identify you.

4. Killerbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, but I did all of those suggestions, even spend 1 hour on chat with Apple, but to no avail...

My iPhone, which on its own is very accurate, is nearby, but the second it connects via WiFi, it is reported at the incorrect location.

There has to be a way to force an update of location services on an Airport Extreme, Time Capsule, and the like...

5. chrfr macrumors 603

Aside from the methods in the posts above, there is no other way.

6. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Like others said, there is absolutely no way to force it. Apple's location services were, are, and always will be a flaming pile of suck. It's unfortunate that they have shown no visible improvements in the last year.