UPDATE: MacBook Air Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Gman021, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Gman021, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014

Gman021 macrumors regular

UPDATE:

The great people at Apple realized my machine was circling the drain. The apple store I went to today recommended another repair, and all parties agreed that was the last straw. I appreciate Apple doing what is right.

They are sending me the BTO 11" i7 and refunding what's left on my AppleCare.

I asked if I could out the money towards a MacBook Pro and I was told I couldn't, is that normal?

Anything I can do about how the computer they are sending me is valued much lower than what I paid for mine even 3 years ago?

2. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Have you tried a different charger?

Clamshell replaced twice? If I may ask, what happened?

3. Gman021, Jul 29, 2014

Gman021 thread starter macrumors regular

4. citivolus macrumors 6502a

I would take a short video showing how the MBA is fully charged but the indicator light on the charger is not showing green, then call Applecare and email it to them. Let them send you a replacement charger which should be minimal hassle for you to try. If that doesn't fix it, I think when you speak to Applecare again, you can suggest the route of replacing the laptop. I definitely wouldn't bother taking your issue to the store as it is hit or miss depending on who you get. Speak with Applecare on the phone; you'll spend less of your time dealing with this, and they are more than empowered to authorize a reasonable solution.

5. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

My guess is that the charger has an issue. I have several power supplies for my old MacBook Pro, and one of them behaves as you described while the others are OK.

6. Gman021, Jul 29, 2014

7. citivolus macrumors 6502a

Looks like you can either call Applecare or start a chat session from the Apple Support page.

8. Gman021, Jul 30, 2014

9. Gman021, Jul 31, 2014

10. Gman021, Jul 31, 2014

11. abta1 macrumors 6502

I had a similar issue with previous charger where the light on the magsafe plug would sometimes not turn on. It still charged the laptop so I didn't really care.

If it bothers you, get it replaced. That's why you pay for the warranty.

12. Gman021, Jul 31, 2014

13. Gman021 thread starter macrumors regular

14. citivolus macrumors 6502a

OP, I understand there's been an update in your situation, but why would you delete all of your posts in the thread?

15. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

Agreed. I have no idea what happened or what computer you had but missing all that info aren't you still lucky they are replacing it?

16. Gman021 thread starter macrumors regular

I just did it since it was all useless and outdated. I guess it was unnecessary, I didn't think much about it.

Didn't want anyone to add to an old topic.

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

To make the thread as pointless as possible. ;)

A thread started on July 29th is not old. What you basically did/do when you delete your relevant posts is make it impossible for others to actually see what resolved your issue. This site is useful not because of people like you who omit information for absolutely no reason, but because there are searchable threads that often answer questions that others have.

As to your question about getting a new computer that replaces your 3-year old computer, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. The MB Air has decreased in price but the value is actually on point if not better than the MB Air you purchased nearly 3 years ago. Technology advances and prices of certain components decreases. Apple sometimes passes off the savings to the customer, just barely, and as a result, you should not compare your price tag from years ago to the price tag today. Apple could have jacked you around and instead, they took your aged machine and handed you a brand new one.

It is more than normal for Apple to replace your machine with the exact or better. They're far from obligated to let you use the cash towards something else.

18. Gman021 thread starter macrumors regular

Why would I still be lucky? I told them all the info and they can see the computers repair history any time.

19. Brian Y macrumors 68040

They can't put machines "through the till" so to speak so they have to order in a replacement - and corp. will only let them order a like-for-like machine.

Monetary wise, the new machine is worth less than you paid 2 years ago, maybe, but it's a better spec, and is worth much more than your used 2-3 year old machine (at the point of the replacement, you didn't own a machine valued at what you paid for it). You can't compare the prices of a 3 year old machine to one today, since the cost per gb/mhz etc drops therefore what might have been an expensive BTO option 3 years ago might be standard today.

Think of it this way. If your car is stolen, your insurance doesn't pay out what you paid for the car 3 years ago. Things depreciate. Think of it more of you gaining 2 years worth of depreciation.