*UPDATE* Macbook pro keeps spitting out dvds *and now CDS* , any DIY solutions?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JJBro1, Dec 22, 2010.

1. JJBro1, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010

JJBro1 macrumors regular

*UPADTE* Its now doing it with any CD I put in. All of a sudden everytime I try to put in a dvd into my macbook pro it makes a weird sound and spits it right out. However a CD will be read just fine, its as soon as you put in a DVD that the problem occurs. I took it to apple and they said it would be $200 to fix. Is there a DIY solution that anyone knows of. I'm using a mid 2009 17 inch macbook pro.

2. nippyjun macrumors 65816

You can just get a usb external cd/dvd drive. they are pretty cheap now. Or you can replace the drive yourself.

3. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Physically (in terms of dimensions) there is nothing different between a CD and a DVD, so it must be a laser head (the little device that craps out a laser to read your disk) problem. I had a similar problem with a Dell a couple years back, slapped the disk drive and the head reseated itself. Make sure you power off the computer, as the HDD will get a nasty shock if it is still spinning.

4. JJBro1 thread starter macrumors regular

5. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

You could just install a new internal drive or go the external route.

mcetech.com has some solutions, you could also check out some other online vendors (looking at $69+ installation).

6. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

happen to me on my 2008 macbook pro
    I have apple care so i didnt pay, but repair was 150.00