Update Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Camps23, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Camps23 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hi guys I went out looking at MacBooks today and was surprised that they are still only sellin them with 2gb of ram. Is it worth the 100 upgrade to goto 4th of ram ? Can I install the extra ram myself to save money ? I didn't think it was a easy task on the new MacBooks ? Also there is the question that everyone asks... when is the rumored date of release for the new MacBook ? I'm in the market for a laptop now but willing to wait a month or so what are the odds of the new MacBook being out by the end of Feb ? I see it is over due for a change and is under the don't buy tag right now. The big debate is spend 100 to upgrade to 4gb of ram or spend the extra 200 for MacBook pro.

2. vistadude macrumors 65816

The $100 upgrade to 4 GB ram isn't worth it, because you do can do an 8 GB ram upgrade for $100 yourself. It's easy to do, just remove 8 screws on the bottom of the laptop, pop out the old ram, and put in the new ram. The RAM is easy to put in, a lot easier than my desktop and a bit easier than my old laptop.

As for waiting, I would guess the new macbooks will come out in the next few months. You lose nothing by waiting, especially if you have other computers to use in the mean time.

3. Camps23 thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks for the heads up. I watched a video on YouTube on changing ram and it looks very simple. The specs say it can only support 4gb max ?