Update Master file in Aperture 2

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Chak64, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Chak64 macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I was wonder what the most easy why of updating the master file is.
    I like to do this on the master file because of the usage of the files on other platforms. (MCE)

I just miss the option version -> Master

thanks

2. Mantat macrumors 6502a

What exactly do you want to do? You can not 'change' a master file because, well, it is the master...

If you like all the adjustment you did on a picture, you can:
    1- duplicate the version and restore the master settings
    2- export the version as a JPEG then reimport the JPEG as a master in Aperture but I dont really see the point of doing this...

Masters images as the pristine version of your capture, you should never mess them up. You play with versions.

3. Chak64 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have lot of photos on my Imac that I also like to have on my MCE and Vista Laptop.

Before I started using Aperture I was syncing all my photos to the Data folder of the Time Capsule.

On my Laptop and MCE there is a sync application running (secondcopy) that will look for changes and update my photos on both machines.
    The sync is working fine...but the changes will not be available.
    What i was looking for is a simple apply option that will change the master of the photos that i select.

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

If you want to change master files then OBVIOUSLY you have missed the point of Aperture. You have no use for it.

5. Chak64 thread starter macrumors newbie

I love the way Aperture works...I'm just looking for a way how to make the edited photo's easy available on other platforms.

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

That's not a function of Aperture, you'll have to export the images. Changing the master file would completely defeat the purpose of Aperture. You might as well be editing with preview or iPhoto.

7. Chak64 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. dadosonny macrumors newbie

Update Masters

Hey Chak,

I think this is OBVIOUSLY something that even those who want to use Aperture will want to do. I have this problem also and I want to add some metadata to my versions and then set the Masters with these info. for example a single keyword.

Exporting is not an intelligent option. We should have the option to update the master if we want.