Update Mid-2007 Black Macbook HDD to SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by carestudio, May 20, 2016.

1. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Sure.
    That would be a good upgrade, especially if you do that along with a RAM upgrade.
    Your Mid-2007 Macbook can also be upgraded to 3GB maximum.

2. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Just buy a new device...
    You can put a 6GB SATA device in, but it won't run at that speed. Its going to run at SATA 2 speeds of either 1.5 or 3Gbps

3. carestudio thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. and I just found a very good video talking about how to open it

I think I can handle it, but then my last question is, can MacBook 2007 work with OX 10.11? El Capitan?

thanks

4. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

No
    The newest OS X that you can run is 10.7.5 (Lion)
    It's possible with hacks to get to Mountain Lion, which is probably the best you can do with hacks.
    You are also limited to 3GB RAM, so even if you COULD go to El Capitan (not gonna happen), you would have very poor response from the system.

5. carestudio thread starter macrumors 6502

6. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I have an SSD in my late '07 Blackbook. It made a night and day difference.

It's a shame the "classic" Macbook now shares a forum with the new Macbook, as before that computer came out this forum was one of the few "safe havens" where the upgrade-itis that's everywhere else on Macrumors was nicely absent. Unfortunately, this forum is now saturated with the knee-jerk "Buy a new computer" people.

Regardless of the bus speed, SSDs still make a big difference in performance. They will generally saturate the bus under most conditions, where a platter drive will not. I've found this to be true even with the ATA/100 bus on Powerbooks.

A new Mac is going to be $1K+ while an SSD-depending on capacity-will generally be under $100 in the sizes many folks will put in Macbooks. Even a high end SSD, like the 1TB 850 Evo I put in my 2012 Macbook Pro a few weeks ago, cost me $330. It's an upgrade that will milk a few more years out of the computer, especially since at least for the time being 10.7 is reasonably current. IMO, there's no reason not to do it, especially if a new machine isn't in the budget.

7. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

I second this. I swear if I see "buy a new computer" one more time:mad:. I think they should've separated the forums "MacBook 12in" and then this. They shouldn't even have the MacBook title. These new "MacBooks" are awful, a single port for everything? Really? And too thin. I don't want a laptop that's thinner than a pencil. I want a functional one, that doesn't have one port for everything.

As for the topic at hand, definitely stick an SSD in it. Literally booted up in like 10 seconds. I threw in a 50$ Intel 520 SSD. It really makes a difference. Feels like the latest and greatest MacBooks. OS is very responsive.

And I recommend you do go to Mountain Lion, even though it requires a work around(which is pretty easy!). Lion is even losing software support now. In my opinion, lion was the "Vista" of OS X. I owned a mid-2007 with the GMA 950(sold it now though).

8. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Just buy another computer... :p
    New rMB are great, most don't need or use the ports so its not really a problem.

9. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

While I agree with both of your sentiments, it's too bad the OP waited this long to upgrade. They should have done this 2 or 3 years ago to capitalize on the steadily decreasing prices but improved performance of SSD's. Yeah, at this point of course there will be an improvement, but that's an old processor and OS that will be increasingly obsoleted by newer software and web page designs.

10. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I won't argue with that-it would have made a much bigger difference when Lion was still a current OS, or at least still supported.

Mountain Lion is doable on this computer, but not great(I have an iMac with just about the same set up running ML). My Blackbook has the X3100 GPU, which isn't great but does run ML a fair bit better than the GMA 950.

Apple putting the 950 in their early Intel "consumer" computers was almost criminal. The last iBooks, iMac G5s, and eMacs had better GPUs. The only iffy one was the G4 Mini, which used a Radeon 9200-it is more powerful than the GMA 950, but lacks core image support so on the whole the 950 is probably better. Still, though, the point remains-of the computers I mentioned, the iBooks had a Radeon 9550, but all the others had a Radeon 9600 or better.