update my G4 or get a macbook pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macgrad, Jul 7, 2009.

1. macgrad macrumors newbie

Any and all advice welcome - thanks in advance.

I have a 12" PowerBook G4 768MB; 1.33 GHz. I'm in grad school and about to start my dissertation. I realize computers don't last forever, and I fear my computer could crash in the middle of all of my research/writing. (I do back up all my stuff.)

My question - do I get a new macbook pro now or do I wait for this one to die altogether. And if I wait, should I/could I do anything to the G4 that will keep it going?

If I'm leaving out any info that would be helpful in answering my question, please let me know.

Thanks!

2. rtmadden macrumors regular

3. opera57 macrumors 6502

Personally I would go for a new MacBook Pro, with it being a new machine it will handle everything better and (in theory) should be more stable than the powerbook. I personally wouldn't want to spend money on an older machine as generally the upgrades (especially RAM) can cost more, and give a smaller benefit. [​IMG]

4. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Has it had any problems so far? Any indications of future problems? If not, don't worry about it.

But if it's giving you issues, it may be time to consider a new machine. (If you can afford one. Repairs work in the short term.)

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you back up consistently and haven't had any problems, you might as well just keep your old 12". Having a new computer doesn't guarantee that you won't have problems with the new one, either.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. This is what I would do, assuming that you can afford it.

7. macgrad thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies.

It hasn't had any major problems - sometimes a key gets stuck or doesn't register well - and battery life isn't great.

This is my first mac. My PCs would just stop turning on or have the blue screen that never went away. This computer has been so reliable, so I don't know what to expect in terms of it dying on me. Which makes it hard to know when it's time to get a new one.

8. ritsard macrumors regular

ritsard

If your main reason you are thinking of getting a new one is your fear of your current one dying and if you feel like wearing this computer first, then get a backup drive instead so you can always have a backup of your research. If it does die on you, you can then get a new one and proceed with your work.

9. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

That's some strange theory you've got there. Stability was never a knock on those laptops. A lot of people around here wish the new machines were as dependable as ones 3 or 5 years ago... that may be nostalgia talking more than reason, but I think there's some truth to it. But still... I wouldn't count on that powerbook letting him down anytime soon.

When the performance really begins getting to you, then its time. If it doesn't bother you yet, then leave it alone and wait for faster machines in 12 or 18 months.

The Powerbook I just left behind was my main computer for 6 years and I never had a problem out of it. It was just getting too slow doing photo/video work.

10. macgrad thread starter macrumors newbie

Should I be swayed by the back to school promotion and the fact that I'm still a student? Or not let that play into my decision.....

11. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

What are they offering? Free iPod or something?

12. ritsard macrumors regular

ritsard

I would just focus on the dissertation than the tool I use to make it. You do backup so you can pickup a mac anytime to continue your work. If the computer hasn't been giving you problems, then just stick with it for now. Get a new mac after you get your grad degree....a gift to yourself :D

13. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Free iPod + a nice discount. Considering you can still take advantage of the student discount, I'd recommend going for it.

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Personally if I was writing my dissertation, the last thing I would do would be to start it on a new machine that I was not familiar with and that I wasn't sure I could count on 100%. Your 12" PB isn't going to throw any surprises at you, and if you're just writing then a new mac isn't going to make much of a difference anyways.

The pessimist's view of the BTS promo is that it's just a way for Apple to clear out inventory before introducing newer, "better" iPods in the fall. Buy a new Mac and a new iPod for full price- you'll be able to afford it with the great job your degree will get you ;-)

15. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

If you have the money it sounds like a good deal. Keep in mind the Apple Store is gonna charge you tax on top of the price, probably shipping too.

16. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

You're in Grad School. Unless things have changed since I was that age, you are financially just above destitute. If the machine works an serves your needs...run that sucka into the ground (even if you had a new machine, not backing up anything as important as a dissertation is idiotic - back up off-site also). Spending money for a faster tool makes no sense if your current tool does everything you want it to. Sure, a new machine will be faster, but for surfing the web and word processing...you'll do fine with your G4.