Update my late 2010 11" 4GB Core2duo 128mb?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by EsspeN, Oct 8, 2014.

1. EsspeN macrumors newbie

Hey!

I own the 11" macbook air 2010 october model. Its updated to 4gb ram and 128gb.

I use it as my primary computer without external monitor.

Ive been waiting for the new 12" retina for a while now, atleast one year. My current macbook is working allright, but I do feel editing movies and photoshop stuff might get faster with a new computer.

If I go for the current 11" 2014 with 8gb ram, base CPU 1.5 and 256mb, will i feel a lot of difference compared to my core2duo 1.6 cpu?

How much faster will it be? this is my main question. What can I expect?

If the new 12" is fanless and have touch I dont think i want that machine. Fanless means less power right? And touch means poor screen quality? What i like about the air is that the display is "matt" (not glossy).

My current computer has only 75% battery and this might equal 3hours.

Sorry for my bad english, its not my first language =)

Thanks =):apple:

2. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

The 2014 11" will be significantly faster and will have around 3x the battery life, possibly more. I wouldn't bother waiting for a 12" or a Retina, unless you're really in no hurry.

3. motrek macrumors 68020

A new base model 11" has enough cooling to sustain its turbo boost speed of 2.7GHz. So based on clock speed alone it will be almost 70% faster. That's before you count the (almost) 8 intervening years of Intel's other improvements between the Core 2 and Haswell.

I can't be bothered to look up any benchmarks right now but I'd be very surprised if a current Air isn't ~2-3x faster than your 2010 Air at most things.

I recently just did exactly the same upgrade and feel a little silly for having put it off for so long. The difference is pretty extreme. The battery life improvement is nice too. And I've grown to appreciate the backlit keyboard.

I agree with your reasoning re: a hypothetical new Air model. Retina display almost certainly means less battery life, fanless almost certainly means less performance, etc. I was also sort of waiting for a refresh, but when it comes down to it, the current 11" Air is a terrific machine.

4. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

The current Air's are amazing machines. It would give you a significant boost in all aspects including power, speed, and battery life. Also, Mac's hold their value very well so if the 12 inch retina comes out and you can't live without it, sell your new one, and buy the retina Air.

I wouldn't buy a first gen release of a retina Air anyway. Give it a cycle or two to get any bugs or image retention problems worked out.

5. EsspeN thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your input all!

I went to the shop today to take a look at the 13" retina and 13" air just to check out if that was something for me. But I find them too big.

Ive been extreme happy with my air and it has been going strong for 4 years without any problems. It also play 1080p video with no problems.

I cant stand screen with lot of reflection, and thats why I dont like any of the macbooks with the "glass".

However, the 2014 11" air they had in shop also had lot of reflections.
    Have they changed the screen on the air from 2010 to 2014?

Or was it only the lightning?

I tried to put the brightness on the retina to max, but I didnt think it lid up much. Maybe it was to much lighting in the shop.

Anyways, I guess it might be smart to wait after 16 october (mac event) to do an order, just in case.

If i order after 16 oct my machine will most likely be shipped with yosemite?

Thank you

6. motrek macrumors 68020

They added/changed panel manufacturers but I don't think they changed the reflectiveness of the screen. It has always been somewhat glossy. You probably only noticed it because of the store's strong lighting. I used to have the same MBA as you and didn't notice any difference between the screens except that the new one I received seems slightly less saturated (easy to get used to).

7. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

EsspeN,

The mDP port in 2010 models were replaced with a Thunderbolt port. I'm guessing this is what you meant by Lightning in your previous post?

8. motrek macrumors 68020

No, he was talking about the screen. He meant lighting.

9. EsspeN thread starter macrumors newbie

I just found a 11" brand new air I7, 8mb ram, 256gb 2013 modell that is 100% identical to the 11" 2014 model i7 at a 35% discount.

Its 35% discount because its a 2013 model, but identical to the 2014 model according to some website i found.

They have only 1 left and im thinking I might get this one.

The CPU is bumped as well, though I dont need that bump... I was gonna wait till after thursday, but im afraid someone else buy this model.

Its not even a refurb, its a brand new machine.

Yes, I was talking about the screen. English is my second language so its not always easy to get the translation correct =)

----------

Ohh, today I use a mDP to HDMI cabel. So now I need to get a thunderbolt to HDMI to connect it to my TV?

10. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

No, the mDP to HDMI works fine. Just pointing out the port is dual purpose now.

11. EsspeN thread starter macrumors newbie

oh! Thanks for the reply =) That was good news!