Update my Late 2011 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by idufour, Jun 6, 2015.

1. idufour macrumors member

Hi!

I have a late 2011 13" MBP that I have updated with an 240 SSD and 8 gb of RAM, it usually runs smooth but I like to edit photos and videos and then I encounter this situation:

[​IMG]

Thats why I think its the moment to upgrade my truthful companion, but I really don´t like the way Apple has taken with the new rMBP, They have everything soldered in and nothing can be upgraded or repaired without changing the entire mb.

How do you see the new rMBP for video editing?

Which one I should buy taking in account they are no longer upgradeable?

The dedicated GPU is a must if I want to edit video and photos? (Nothing PRO, just hobby)

Thx in advanced!

Ignacio

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I edit heavy 1080p footage on my late-2013 15" (2.6/16/1TB/750M) and it does it quite well.

For your needs, you should just stick with the stock high-end variant with the dGPU (2.5/16/512/M370X).

I don't see anything wrong with soldering everything in - at least they made it thinner and lighter that way. Besides, with 16GB of RAM as standard, there's no reason to upgrade it. The SSD isn't soldered, but you can't buy them anywhere else (they're custom Samsung SM951 SSDs with a proprietary non-M.2 form factor).

3. idufour thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! The high end is out of budget :( why the only one with dGPU is this one?

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Because it's the way it is.

I looked at your Activity Monitor stats and you're practically maxing out the CPU, which means that a dual core system just doesn't cut it anymore. You're going to need at least a quad core one, which means a baseline 15" at the minimum. You can get by with that if you're just a hobbyist.

5. SanJacinto macrumors regular

SanJacinto

Perhaps a refurbished MacBook Pro is the way to go for you.
    Maybe not from Apple's own refurbished program but from other suppliers.

A nice quad core from 2013 or even 2014 should improve your situation.