Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malarkine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
London, UK
Hi guys, total noob here. I have recently switched from custom built PCs to Mac.
I have a MacBook Pro and ever since yesterday, at the login screen when I start up, it says on my username icon "Update Needed" and my picture has gone. I have checked to make sure that I am running the most up to date version, (10.7.2), which I am but it's still there.
Any help or suggestions would be great.
Many thanks,
Greg.

malarkine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
London, UK
This sounds stupid, but open Users in System Preferences. Check if somebody changed your account photo and username.

Impossible, no one else has access to my computer. I checked anyway to make sure but not the problem.
It only happens when I turn my machine on. If I log out, my picture and name are back as normal. It only happens at start up.
Thanks, Greg.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Did you possibly set the picture from a folder that might not be yet loaded at startup, i.e. the picture is within your Dropbox folder that hasn't loaded yet on start up. I had a somewhat similar issue when I set my messenger account picture to one from my Dropbox as sometimes it would be reset if the Dropbox didn't connect fully during startup.

malarkine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
London, UK
Did you possibly set the picture from a folder that might not be yet loaded at startup, i.e. the picture is within your Dropbox folder that hasn't loaded yet on start up. I had a somewhat similar issue when I set my messenger account picture to one from my Dropbox as sometimes it would be reset if the Dropbox didn't connect fully during startup.

I have noticed it since i changed my profile picture. But the file is located within the pictures folder. Do you think me changing my profile picture has got something to do with it then?
Greg.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I'm assuming you had set it as a photo of something then later that photo was deleted or misplaced. Hence, the system is unable to find it to display it as the icon. (total guess). Try one of the built in Apple photos.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have noticed it since i changed my profile picture. But the file is located within the pictures folder. Do you think me changing my profile picture has got something to do with it then?
Greg.

Open the Address Book app and make a card for yourself and associate a picture with that card. Then go to the Card menu in Address Book and click "Make This my Card". That will make the photo you selected for the card show up as your login photo.

Since the Lion update Apple did something wonky with the interplay between the login photo and the Address Book photo. Doing what I described should fix it for you.

malarkine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
London, UK
Open the Address Book app and make a card for yourself and associate a picture with that card. Then go to the Card menu in Address Book and click "Make This my Card". That will make the photo you selected for the card show up as your login photo.

Since the Lion update Apple did something wonky with the interplay between the login photo and the Address Book photo. Doing what I described should fix it for you.

Thanks for the advice but it didn't work I am afraid. It is really bugging me now. LOL.

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
you said you just bought it so you still have applecare. I'm at a loss; all my ideas have already been proposed. can you/do you have time to take it into an apple store and have them take a look?

malarkine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
London, UK
you said you just bought it so you still have applecare. I'm at a loss; all my ideas have already been proposed. can you/do you have time to take it into an apple store and have them take a look?

I actually said I have just switched from custom built PCs to Mac. But anyway it isn't very old. I bought it in July 2011.
The iMac is pretty much brand new but I don't have apple care on either anyway.
I have found this https://discussions.apple.com/message/17250213#17250213
I have just got to buy an External HDD that supports Mac now, then I can back everything up and give that a go and see if it works.

----------

I actually said I have just switched from custom built PCs to Mac. But anyway it isn't very old. I bought it in July 2011.
I have found this https://discussions.apple.com/message/17250213#17250213
I have just got to buy an External HDD that supports Mac now, then I can back everything up and give that a go and see if it works.
Actually I don't. I have al my music on my iPhone and I can upload all the other files to my web space.

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
I'd just reinstall the OS and back up only what you need like apps, photos, etc... but none of the preferences. Seems drastic but if you remember everything it can be done it less than an hour.

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011

you still have the included 1 year warranty, which I think is still called applecare. so if you take it into the store, they will help you. if they can figure it out...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.