Update never ends, what sould I do?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by duggram, Jun 6, 2011.

1. duggram macrumors 6502

duggram

45 minutes before I needed to leave the house for the airport I go to turn off my MBP so I can pack it. No, Apple wants to install about 7 security and related MBP updates. I of course say ok. Come back for the MBP a half hour later and it's got a gray screen with a "No" symbol and the rotating image that is rotating.

I wait 10 min and come back. Same screen. I come back another 10 min later and now I need to go, I have a plane to catch. I force a reboot and it starts up to the same gray screen with No symbol. So I close the laptop and put it in my back.

An hour later after getting through TSA (always a pleasure) I get to a computer table and get the laptop out. Sure enough it's still running but it's hot as hell. I have an SSD drive I think I'm ok, except it's still got the update gray screen on it.

So I turn on the tether in my phone and the MBP hooks up instantly. I'm thinking I brought my install disk so I insert it and kill the computer. Problem is it's the app disk. So I boot up with the C key pressed anyway. The computer starts like normal.

BTW Update now says that I have no updates to take care of. And, now the laptop is cooled way down.

Any ideas on what I should do next?

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I think you're fine. I don't think there's anything you need to do.

3. duggram thread starter macrumors 6502

duggram

I just rebooted and everything looks fine. But how can I tell if I screwed something up? Or, do I even need to work about it?

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Wow that was confusing between the grey screen, TSA laptop table and tethering. I never say OK to something when I'm on the way somewhere important. That's why there is a confirmation box, so you can prioritize your life over routine updates that should have waited until you got home.

What does it say when you click the apple and pick "About this Mac?" Mine says OS 10.6.7.

5. duggram thread starter macrumors 6502

duggram

6. duggram thread starter macrumors 6502

duggram

Before and after the updates it says 10.6.7

7. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Ok, so I think you were getting the recent anti malware stuff. No big deal. If software update now says you are up to date you should be good to go.

8. duggram thread starter macrumors 6502

duggram

Got to my hotel on this trip and it's doing it again. Gray screen with a NO symbol and the rotating image. Had to boot with the Apple applications disc to get in.

When I was at my 3 hour lay over this evening I booted up maybe 3 times without problems. I won't be home till Friday night which is where my OS X reinstall disk is. Any suggestions as to what I can do about this now?

9. duggram thread starter macrumors 6502

duggram

The problem now seems to have been resolved with this:

Verify permissions produced:

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Remote/Management/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    ACL found but not expected on "private/var/db/launchd.db/com/apple/launchd".

Repair permisions:

Repaired "private/var/db/launchd.db/com/apple/launchd".

This suggestion came from the Apple forums. Hopefully this will be a permanent fix. Thanks for the help.

10. duggram thread starter macrumors 6502

duggram

This problem is not resolved.

I now open Disk Utility after every boot and repair disk permissions. Ever time I get the same Verify and Repair result --
    ACL found but not expected on "private/var/db/launchd.db/com/apple/launchd".

Repaired "private/var/db/launchd.db/com/apple/launchd".

Any suggestions on what I can do to permanently repair launchd