Update on 27" ACD sound issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jamesryanbell, Nov 25, 2010.

1. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Problem detailed here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1041336

I spent a long time with AppleCare, and they're shipping me a new one on Monday. I'm sending mine back. They said if the new one exhibits the behavior with two months that I can get a full refund with no restocking fees or anything regardless of whether or not I'm in the 90 day period (which sounds really cool...hoping they don't back out on that). I asked them if they were aware of the problem (this was a higher level manager....not the person who fields the calls), and he said "yes" and that it seemed to affect only the first production runs of the monitors....and my serial number fit within that range.
    I still think it's software (how could it not be?), but he's telling me that they haven't received a single complaint outside of a certain range of serial numbers, so "the new one they send should work".

We'll see. I'll post back when updated. :)

2. karsten macrumors 6502a

karsten

thanks for the update. i havent heard about the serial number things that's good to know. the one i got with the issue was from an apple store, so its possible its one they had in stock since they were released so its an early one, i doubt its a high volume sales item there. let us know how it turns out. on another note, my support person I talked to obviously lied when they said they couldn't send me a new monitor, it wasn't even an option. quote unquote.

3. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

My tech advisor at AppleCare dictated a replacement was in order within literally about two minutes.

4. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Replacement monitor arrives tomorrow from Apple (mine has already been sent back). I'll post this week if there are sound issues (which I suspect there will be, because I still think it's 100% software related). If this one does it, a refund is in order.

5. amarcus macrumors 6502

Thanks for the updates. As a fellow ACD user also suffering from sound issues I've been debating whether to get a replacement myself.

Hope everything works out!

Adam

6. Sound Evolution macrumors 6502

Dear James,

Me too had the same issues with audio and cam. Apple Kindly replaced my screen.

My latest replacement from Apple still (finally!) works fine after a week of use.

Note that this was obvious a newer batch, Different protection plastic at the front with less glue, Different Power Cord and third, it didn't accept the software update and I got the message "Alert No software update needed" something like that.

Gone are the sluggish volume bar, gone are the audio troubles. I very much love this display!

Audio, Mic and Cam works flawless (and i use it a lot daily!), paired with my mid 2009 MBP 17"

With kind regards,
    Bas

7. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Using the new monitor now! Really hoping to have the same results as the poster above!!

I'll post to thread with updates.

8. Sound Evolution macrumors 6502

Congrats,

Mine works still flawless except one thing. Yahoo messenger voice-call. Only when audio goes over the ACD all sounds and voices are high pitched (sound like helium inhaled voices :D). This only appears with Yahoo messenger. Not with Skype. Indicates me that there is somewhere a bug in the sample rate conversion and the audio data clocking.

Other then that, Still no issues anymore with sluggish volume bar or disappearing audio.

With kind regards,
    Bas

9. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

More issues with mine last night. USB on the back of the monitor would randomly stop working and I'd get a warning about ejecting USB disks incorrectly. Sound would randomly transfer back to the computer and then back to the monitor. Sucks.

I rebooted, and it seems better but we'll see. Ugh.

10. Sound Evolution macrumors 6502

Like the devil plays with it... Today after almost two weeks of flawless operation my ACD start to screw up again big time :( The sound issues came back, and worse it made my whole computer sluggish and stucked and forced me to reboot.

I give up for now and just hope for a software fix. Getting is replaced again doesn't make any sense since I am sure I get the same problem over and over again.

With kind regards,
    Bas

11. mandoman macrumors 6502

mandoman

I too have the sound issue. Only works a day or two until sound goes and i have to unplug the monitor to get the sound to work again. All indications on threads I've seen are that a replacement won't fix the issue. I agree, this should be fixed in firmware.

Everything else about my monitor works great, so I am reluctant to exchange it until we are certain a replacement will fix the issue once and for all. I am more hopeful that a firmware fix is in the works...

Greg

12. fortemd macrumors newbie

I too have the audio issue. I got so frustrated that I bought an Apogee Duet and couple of speakers, thereby bypassing the output issue. Unfortunately, when I skype my son in Spain, I have to unplug the monitor and plug it back in to get the display mic to work....
    I do loads of photo editing and I love the monitor, just sort of sucks that a company with such a good track record can't (or won't) put out a software patch to fix these issues...

13. mandoman macrumors 6502

mandoman

14. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

No monitor has had ZERO issues in well over a week.

Did NOT download the firmware fix either.