Update on Apple Store Boston

tkidBOSTON

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2005
The Hub of the Universe
The latest and greatest from the Boston Globe on the proposed Back Bay store:

http://www.boston.com/business/personaltech/articles/2006/06/14/apple_amends_its_designs_for_planned_back_bay_store/

At an advisory meeting in March, commissioners expressed concerns about the design, saying it didn't have a sense of place, and suggested that Apple replicate or preserve the existing façade. In its latest filings to the city, Apple has proposed several designs that would add vertical columns and divide the façade in nine sections. It gives a boxier look, appearing to fit in more with adjacent buildings.
I think its a shame. One thing I always loved about the Apple stores is that they stand out. But if this will bring a new dedicated store to Boston, I say go for it.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
Too bad they didn't show sketches of what they are planning - It would be interesting to see what they have up their sleeve. It doesn't sound like they plan to keep the existing facade, just to design something more in line with the surrounding buildings.

I'm sure whatever they end up doing will be stylish though.

tkidBOSTON

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2005
The Hub of the Universe
Just updating anyone thats interested on the Apple Store Boston again...

From today's Boston Globe:

Giving Apple a conditional blessing, the group approved the demolition of the existing building at 815 Boylston St. as long as the computer maker presents an appropriate building design.
"We like the direction it's going in. You're on a great track, keep going," said John Christiansen , a commission member. "It's technologically inspired and historically inspired."
EDIT: Spelling