Update on every boot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AlliFlowers, May 2, 2015.

1. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Is it normal that there is a progress bar beneath your user name every time you boot? I don't recall this happening before, but lately it happens every time.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Sounds like you're running OS X 10.10.x. It's normal as far as I know.

3. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I believe the progress bar in 10.10 is showing boot progress, not an update.

4. AlliFlowers thread starter Contributor

AlliFlowers

Whew! Thanks y'all. It was really bothering me.

It may be bothering me enough to go back to a MBA.... Now I'm really starting to think about the New MacBook!

5. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

If you get the login prompt before OS X loads, you probably have FileVault enabled. You can switch it off from System Preferences > Security & Privacy.

Otherwise I would not advice anyone turn off any security features, but if it bothers you enough to make you switch computers, then what the heck...

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The new macbook will have the same progress bar. All it's doing is estimating the progress of the boot, basically copying what happens when an iOS device boots up.

otherwise, ti's doing the exact same thing it would do before Yosemite... just not show you a progress bar while doing it.

7. AlliFlowers thread starter Contributor

AlliFlowers

I definitely have FileVault enabled. But now that I'm assured it's not updating every time I boot, I'm good. Patience is a virtue. :)

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

Not too long ago MBPs came with mechanical hard drives and booting sometimes too *GASP* over a minute!

All seriousness asides, if you really need to have your computer up and running instantly, put it to sleep instead of shutting it down. Problem (and progress bar) solved.

9. AlliFlowers thread starter Contributor

AlliFlowers

I usually do that. But lately I've found if I don't reboot fairly often, my internet connection is adversely affected. Not sure what's really going on.