update on scratch build

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by teezy, Feb 8, 2015.

1. teezy macrumors member

teezy

not sure if any of you peeped the last thread i created a few weeks ago regarding the macbookpro5,5 that i bought off eBay for parts (--->http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1840705)

i ordered the speakers, the center bracket, DC-in board, hard drive cable + bracket(s), 2x2GB RAM (only 1x2GB was installed when i got the machine), uhhhhhhhh...... and a bunch of screws... might be missing something but yah. all of which i managed to install without issue, although i do need some adhesive for the left speaker... the one that goes underneath(?) the lobo and next to the DC-in board. need suggestions for this!

anyway. i'm having an issue. and i presume that the logic board is crapped.

managed to install and connect the DC in board just fine. re-assembled everything, connected it to the "L"-style 60W magsafe charger i use for MY mbp9,2 and.......... (i can't even say every other time because its so inconsistent) the light will illuminate green and stay there for like 10-ish seconds and then go off. the white power LED on the mbp also illuminates and the exhaust fan powers up... both WITH and without the battery connected. although i've had more success with the battery disconnected.

i took out the battery from my mbp and installed it into the other one, to no avail. wasn't able to get a charge to it either.

i installed the other battery to MY mbp and went into AHT and NOTHING showed up for the battery. under the "power" tab, it said "source: external" and capacity "0%". don't remember what the voltage or current said. but i know that MY charger works lol. once, i guess it was kinda working because the first light on the battery indicator light(s) flashed rapidly like normal (indicating that the battery is dead). but... i'm gonna get another battery for it.

i figure that the other battery is crap as well. when installed into the other mbp, and pressing the battery indicator button, the first light flashes 3 times and fades out on the 3rd. not sure what that indicates... can't find anything either.

now as for passing current from the DC in board (on the other mbp) to the battery or enough to get it to power up period........... the times where i did manage to get the light to stay on/maintain the flow, the machine would start (kinda) and then shut off a few seconds later. the power indicator goes off, and i hear the hard drive head park itself.. but when it "starts", i hear nothing other than the fan start spinning. this is both with and without a battery (tried my battery and the other... same result, but like i said before, more success without the battery).

any thoughts? anything i should try? it won't actually boot so i don't think i can do a PRAM or SMC reset. i'd hate to have to get another logic board because then this entire project would be a waste, in a way. all through this i'm just hoping that i don't have to get another logic board lol. really wish the "seller" KNEW specifically what was going on with it. but for $100, i was like "why not" lol.

2. teezy thread starter macrumors member

teezy