Update on this whole creaking thing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Mike84, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

So, the creaking on my MBA got pretty bad so I decided to purchase the MBA 5-point screw driver. I took off the bottom plate, reset it and tightened the screws. This was 3 days ago.

Unfortunately, the creaking has come back, not as bad, but I think it is creeping its way back. I am wondering, for those of you who have experienced this and taken it into an Apple store, what has happened? If they tightened the screws, has the issue returned? Just wanted to get some feedback on this. Thanks

2. Mike84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Anyone?

3. BENJMNS macrumors 6502

BENJMNS

just live w/ it. if this is the biggest of your worries, then obviously life is good or very boring otherwise.

4. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

this reply was uncalled for!

mike...maybe try taking back into apple store and see what they can do for you...maybe it needs to be replaced...you paid good money,except perfection...

5. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

If it's bothering you, take it in. It's likely normal, however - mine creaks a bit on the left side if I pick it up a certain way. I don't see it as a problem, but to each his or her own.

6. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

Mine's not even a week old and I've noticed a slight creak if I pinch the bottom near the trackpad. It's more apparent on the left of the trackpad.

I was going to take it in but I'm living with it. I figure there's not much they'd do and the creak would probably return. If it bothers you though, I'd definitely take it in.

7. ra004e macrumors regular

My 13" MBA was creaking real bad. Bought the tool from iFixit. I loosened all the screws on the bottom, moved the bottom cover a bit to realign it. Then which I think is most important to is to slowly cross tighten the screws and not to create to much torque on any one side. Mine hasn't creaked once since I did that. Hope that helps.

8. rkheyfets macrumors regular

mine creaks just a little honestly if it doesn't effect performance which it doesn't and isn't too bad just leave it alone, but if your really bothered by it just exchange it.

9. WMuntean macrumors regular

I exchanged two MBA with creaking symptoms and my current MBA is completely flawless. I'm sorry that resetting the plate doesn't work, hope you find a solution.

10. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

My 11.6" MBA creaks a lot on the left palmrest, beside the trackpad. It's a couple months old. Even after lifting your hands after typing it will creak. I might take it into the Apple store to have it tightened, but unless it comes apart at the seams, I don't think a return is in store or anything like that. It's a minor issue.

I think it may have something to do with the entire trackpad being clicked down. The thing is so thin that when you click down on the trackpad, it probably flexes the entire keyboard to a slight degree. Slowly this might wear things down and make everything a little more prone to shifting. Not really avoidable, IMO.

That said, I usually click on the left side of the trackpad with my right thumb. I don't assign the right side of the trackpad to right click.

11. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

Yawn..... I have the ultimate, and have no such issues.... I'm sorry to hear about that, but I suggest you all take it back to apple if it really is that bad.

It actually was called for.... but you shouldn't make havoc in the forums.... these issue can be dealt with at apple stores or resellers, and it's a small percentage.....chill man, and don't make havoc;)