Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gmapeg4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2013
I'm switching from Snow Leopard to Mavericks now, hoping to be able to use Facetime which doesn't work on my Snow Leopard and I've read that it fixed some others who were having the same problem.

Would it be better to format my hard drive and install fresh, or will an update be just as effective?

I'm hoping to get it done before Thanksgiving so we can Facetime during dinner with our daughter's family. Las Vegas to Centeral IL.

Since I can Facetime on my iPad mini, I am assuming it is my computer that has the problem.

Thanks for any help.
GmaPeg

SVT Amateur

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2006
Tyler, Texas
I personally like to do a fresh install of every Mac operating system (i.e. 10.7, 10.8, 10.9) although I know it isn't required. I usually end up installing many programs that end up getting deleted and although I'm sure it is in my head, it always seems my computer runs faster when I do a fresh install every year or so.

It doesn't take me long to get back up and running since I use Dropbox for most of my files and am pretty good about remember what all my settings are.

If I was upgrading from Snow Leopard to Mavericks I would definitely do a fresh install, but I guess you could always install over Snow Leopard, see how well it works, and then just do a fresh install if you have any issues.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
I have had a Mac since OS X 10.3. I just migrated to my third Mac. I have never done a clean install. Always an upgrade. My new Mac came with 10.8. I set it up from a Time Machine back up. When 10.9.1 is released I am going to upgrade. For the first time I am considering a clean install. I feel like my new mini should be more responsive and I want to see if a clean install helps at all. I know that doesn't really answer your question, but maybe this gives you some perspective.

Although your theory of a clean install fixing your Facetime problem is a good first thing to try.

Gmapeg4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2013
Thanks

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts on the subject. I think, because of the Facetime issue, I will do the clean install.

GmaPeg:)

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I also suggest doing a clean install.

A clean install of Mountain Lion 6 months ago solved a lot of issues with my mac which had been upgraded through several OSes.

I'm thinking of a clean install of Mavericks as I'm having several niggling issues with Mavericks (installed over my 6 month old ML clean install). However I've just resolved the worst issue - a major Mail.app slowdown - and turning off App Nap has helped other issues. So I think I will wait till 10.9.1 or 10.9.2 come out then do a clean install.

Next year will deffo wait till 10.10.1 or 10.10.2 before installing. No more .0 installs!

----------

PS imessages which you will get on Mountain Lion is great too, as well as better integration of iCal, Notes and Reminders with your iPad. I depend on these apps every day.

As a quick fix, you could try

1) create a new admin account, set up your Apple ID & iCloud, see if you can get FT to work with that.
2) delete above account, create another new admin account, create a new Apple ID, see if you can get FT to work with it.

That might help guide you to solving your issues.

ufkdo

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
Turkey
It is a personal choice. I don't think a clean install is necessary as I have upgraded from Snow Leopard directly to Mavericks and I don't have any issue (apart from the public bugs). So, give it a go. Do an upgrade to see how your system works. IMO, There is 95% probability that you will not have any problems at all and it will run as if you run Snow Leopard (of course after Spotlight reindex and all the other background stuff finish).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.