Update (or restore ) to iOS 7.0.6 seems to be broken

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by sirozha, Feb 25, 2014.

1. sirozha macrumors 6502

I tried to upgrade my iPhone 5s 64 GB this morning via iTunes on OS X Mavericks. Everything on the Mac was updated to the latest version, including iTunes. Once iTunes downloaded the iOS and backuped up the phone, it was stuck on "Preparing iPhone for software update". I decided to unplug the iPhone and then plugged it back in. At this point, the iPhone went black and then - after a few seconds - a saw the dreaded "Connect to iTunes" screen. However, a few seconds later, the screen went away, and iTunes finally started upgrading the iPhone. A few minutes later, the iPhone was running on iOS 7.0.6.

However, I also tried to upgrade my iPad Mini retina Wi-Fi only 32 GB - using a different Mac, but also running the latest OS X with all the latest upgrades. I experienced the same exact problem - once iOS was downloaded, iTunes was stuck on "Preparing iPad for software update" message. The same trick - disconnecting the iPad and reconnecting it to the Mac did not kick off the update process. Instead, the notification of a new iOS update popped up on the iPad Mini. No matter what I tried, I could not kick off the update via iTunes. Finally, I went to Settings in iOS and updated over-the-air to 7.0.6 from there.

Once over-the-air update was finished, I wanted to restore to iOS 7.0.6 via iTunes so that iOS 7.0.6 running on the iPad Mini is not an over-the-air update. Now iTunes is stuck on the "Preparing iPad for restore ..." message. The iPad is still usable running the over-the-air iOS 7.0.6.

There's something seriously wrong with iOS 7.0.6. There's no doubt in my mind that both the update and the restore processes are broken. I have been upgrading iOS devices both over-the-air and via iTunes multiple times since 2009, and I have never seen this issue before. This time I tried two different Macs with two different types of iOS devices, and both of them had issues. I have two more iOS devices to update - an iPhone 5s and an iPad Air. I'm not going to update them until I understand what's happening here. Maybe Apple's servers are hammered with everyone trying to update at the same time - I don't know.

None of my iOS devices have been jailbroken. The reason I want to have iOS 7.0.6 updated via iTunes is that I may want to jailbreak some of them in the future, and the current evasi0n jailbreak has been patched in iOS 7.1, which will be out soon.

2. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

I updated 4 iPhones 5S's, and iPhone 5C and 2 iPads at home over the weekend and had 0 issues all using the latest version of iTunes and Mavericks.

3. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

No issues here on 5 devices. I would be cautious unplugging the device in the middle of an upgrade. It sometimes takes a while to "prepare the device" so better to leave it be and let it do its thing. If it takes hours then maybe but I would be patient if I were you.

4. sirozha thread starter macrumors 6502

I have just upgraded my Mac Mini to OS 10.9.2, and as soon as it rebooted, I tried to restore the retina iPad Mini via iTunes to iOS 7.0.6. It worked on the first attempt, and the retina iPad Mini is happily restoring right now.

So, either I needed to reboot my Mac before trying to update to iOS 7.0.6 via iTunes (which is not normally required), or the update to iOS 7.0.6 was tested by Apple on OS 10.9.2, but they released the two OSes in the reverse order.

5. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Oh well the ones I did were OTA. I doubt there is a serious issue with Windows or older versions of MAC's or more would have been out about it by now. Probably just an isolated issue with your machine and a reboot may have solved it. Who knows. Glad u are working now tho.