Update or stay with 1.1.4?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by etgohomeok, Aug 12, 2008.

1. etgohomeok macrumors newbie

Hi. I'm currently running firmware 1.1.4 on my iPod Touch, jailbroken, and have had it this way for a long time. I know firmware 2.0 came out a while ago, and I feel like I'm missing out on stuff (App Store).

My question is what all I should do. I know there seems to be a stable jailbreak for 2.0 (WinPwn). Should I update my firmware in iTunes and jailbreak 2.0?

The thing is that I'm reluctant to do this because I have about 5 pages of apps, and lots of other customizations and it will take me time to get it back that way.

What I'm asking, I guess, is if I update to 2.0, will I be able to get my iPod back to pretty much the same state it is in now, but with the App Store as well, or should I stay in the now primitive-seeming 1.1.4 firmware?

2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

if you upgrade to 2.0 or 2.0.1 you will loose all data on the device inc theme and customisations.

if you are in no rush to upgrade then there really is no need most apps work with 1.1.4 apps are slowly being ported over to 2.0.

Choice is yourse really I have layed down a couple of vital facts to consider

3. etgohomeok thread starter macrumors newbie

So most of the apps in the app store are available in Installer with 1.1.4?

4. asskick3r macrumors regular

asskick3r

I made a poll on this earlier last week... and I decided to go with upgrading to 2.0 Temporarily until pwnagetool/winpwn comes bundled with the full version of installer.
    But yeah.. the new features are great. If you have had your 1.1.4 customized then you iPod will look a little bit bare.
    That's why they are releasing installer 4.0. Which will have all or most of the apps you could of had on 1.1.4 jailbroken. Including customize.

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

most 1.1.4 apps have to be re-coded to work with 2.0's new frameworks

6. therealmrbob macrumors regular

therealmrbob

Not true. installer isn't going to have any more apps than cydia.

the apps still need to be rewritten.

by the way, winterboard does more for me than customize ever did. it's great.

7. itzdemo macrumors regular

itzdemo

customize is a POS !@!

i been trying to use customize for some time now and seem to have the same problem many are having..

like downloading the teme ipear (6000+) kbs

the download ends like after a few secs and the theme is listed in my "mythemes" but nothing from the theme showes up!

they said it could be the slow servers. but if they was the case woulent they have fixed it by now ?

i tried to email who made it and nothing ever came back.

i feel like im riped off ! just like ALOT of other people we paid money to help this app. and it's worth less then a brick :mad:

8. bryonbrock macrumors member

9. ncsimmons03 macrumors member

Stay with 1.1.4... at least until jailbreaking is worth it on 2.0.1

10. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

its not downloading the themes is what the problem is, it downloads the information plist for the app to display the theme in the program and the folder structure but thats it no images are actually downloading, I addressed this on the customize forums but spicychicken hasn't been seen on there for a good week so we're not getting any answers

11. itzdemo macrumors regular

itzdemo

12. dagored macrumors 65816

To the OP, don't let anyone tell you that you can not do on 2.0 what you are doing on 1.1.4. I waited a week and took the plunge. I can do more now and with better apps than before. As far as customize - go to winterboard:

[​IMG]

13. Craig Christ macrumors member

I upgraded to 2.0.1 this week. After a day or so, I was about to go back to 1.1.3, but now I love it!

Winterboard is awesome and I've gotten things more customized than I did in 1.1.x. Cydia has a good amount actually. More than I can find in installer. Maybe I just don't have the right repos. Overall, there are less apps since they haven't all been ported over. But the free variety in the Apple Apps store plus the stuff in Cydia more than covers it IMO.

Suggestions on Installer 4 repos, or Cydia even, are welcome!