Update path for 2012 cMBP's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tubamajuba, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Well, today I am the proud owner of a new mid-2012 13" MBP (with a Core i7 :D). It's my first Mac, and it's only taken a couple of hours for me to decide that it won't be my last.

I have one concern though- how many years can I expect this thing to get updates? It appears that Mountain Lion supports between four to five years of previous models, but now that Apple is switching to yearly OS updates, I feel like we may be in uncharted waters. Could I reasonably expect four years of support for new versions of OS X? I am willing to pay whatever Apple charges for future updates, but at what point do you think they will be less than willing to provide them for my hardware?

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

Well, my mid 2007 MBP would have run ML if i had kept it, it really depends on CPU technology and what new features and what is added, Really the only reason some of the early 2000 machines arent supported is becuase of A. non intel CPUs, and B. non 64bit, since neither of those two things will change anytime soon, you should be safe for a goot 5-10 years.

3. Tubamajuba thread starter macrumors 68000

Good point regarding the 64-bit issues with compatibility- I read that some of the very early 64-bit machines weren't supported by ML because of driver issues, which as you pointed out should be non existent with present day models- barring a switch to ARM of course. :p

Thanks for the peace of mind!

4. snoylekim macrumors member

Mid 2009 15" 2.66 still going strong ..upgraded memory to 8 G and swapped hard drive w/ Samsung 830 SSD .. runs ML like brand new .. I'll upgrade soon , especially if Apples heading toward 'all sealed' units ..but, for now it's a great living room machine :)