Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2019
IMG_0168.png

Just got this today. I don't have any emails or issues with my current payment method (tapping this only brings up the one payment method I got, my Amex card, which is already registered to Apple Pay and working fine!) but I got this un-clearable notification. I tap it, it shows my current payment method which is fine, and still works (I even get the correct notifications from Wallet when I use it) so there's nothing I can do but tap 'back' and it just goes back to showing this. What's going on?

I read one thread about this, but in their case it was due to their card expiring soon, but mine doesn't expire until 2023

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Other companies do this from time to time too. It's a security precaution. Just enter your current info again.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2019
I have no current info to re-enter. Everything listed is correct. I mean I hit 'edit' and it was all there as it should, then tapped 'done' but notification persists.

Will anything bad happen if I just ignore the notification?

Reactions: compwiz1202

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
do you have a pending payment from the app store or Mac app store ? has you may not have enough money in your bank account too cover a payment this can easy be fix buy going too your bank and dropping some money in so your card can get charged for that app then things should go back too normal

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2019
I have been using Apple Pay since September 2019. It's still the same card registered with Apple Pay and I even filled my truck with fuel using Apple Pay on my watch this evening no problem.

I have been having some major issues re: connectivity with my 6S lately, I had to reboot it 8 times today. First as I woke up, it wouldn't connect to the Internet even while on Wifi (which was fine), rebooted, then it said 'no service' but wifi worked. Third time, LTE but no wifi, fourth, wifi calling, LTE and such worked, but no SMS capability. And so on and so on.

Either they're refarming the towers here or something's going on with Apple servers. The 'update payment notification' showed up in settings on the 8th reboot.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I have been using Apple Pay since September 2019. It's still the same card registered with Apple Pay and I even filled my truck with fuel using Apple Pay on my watch this evening no problem.

I have been having some major issues re: connectivity with my 6S lately, I had to reboot it 8 times today. First as I woke up, it wouldn't connect to the Internet even while on Wifi (which was fine), rebooted, then it said 'no service' but wifi worked. Third time, LTE but no wifi, fourth, wifi calling, LTE and such worked, but no SMS capability. And so on and so on.

Either they're refarming the towers here or something's going on with Apple servers. The 'update payment notification' showed up in settings on the 8th reboot.
Try deleting then add your information again, see if that gets rid of the notification.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2019
Would ignoring it cause any issues? I'm really trying to not break stuff like Apple Pay. Since it's my only payment method I'm certain it would end any active subscriptions as well and that's a ton I'd have to manually get back on.

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
Would ignoring it cause any issues? I'm really trying to not break stuff like Apple Pay. Since it's my only payment method I'm certain it would end any active subscriptions as well and that's a ton I'd have to manually get back on.

Phone Apple before entering any personal info to ensure it is legit. If it is surely they will suggest a work around solution.

Last edited:

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2019
I don't see how it could not be legit, it's showing under settings itself, not an email or in the browser?

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I don't see how it could not be legit, it's showing under settings itself, not an email or in the browser?

As previous poster suggested, get in contact with apple, sure they’ll be able to fix your current issue.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2019
If the issue is just a persistent notification I'll leave it be. I ignore the stupid update notification much the same (I don't believe in updates since iOS 7 really burned my biscuits, so I don't update anything when I like it as it is)

But if leaving it alone means something bad will happen, then I will call Apple.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I've had that message before and resolved it by re-entering the security code for my credit card under iCloud > Payment & Shipping.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2019
It must already have that code as nothing is being declined or not being paid. Everything works as it should be...

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
It must already have that code as nothing is being declined or not being paid. Everything works as it should be...
Have you actually gone into that setting and checked it? Resaving your card info might make that notification badge disappear.

Reactions: NoBoMac

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014

Though you can set payment method to Apple Pay for Apple ID things, Apple Pay is separate, so Apple Pay transactions going through does not enter into the equation in this scenario.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2019
What I did was tap 'continue' which lists my payment methods (which is my Amex card) and then all i get for options are 'edit' and 'back'. I tap 'edit' and verify everything is correct, then tap 'done' and the notification stays. I am unsure why it's showing as if there's a problem when there is clearly not. Since my Amex card is the only payment method I have set to use Apple Pay and since I still get my wallet notifications and my iTunes subscriptions go through fine, I assume it's a bug.

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Just delete and re-add your credit/debit card info. It won’t affect any subscriptions or any payments you made already. I deleted my credit card and debit card on my iPhone X before I moved to my new iPhone 11. Once I was up and running on my 11, I added both again and no issues with any of my subscriptions I have going.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I have no current info to re-enter. Everything listed is correct. I mean I hit 'edit' and it was all there as it should, then tapped 'done' but notification persists.

Will anything bad happen if I just ignore the notification?
This happened to me a while back and on top of that, I got a generic error when I tried to enter the payment info section. Had to do it through cellular for some weird reason. Once I was in, I had to change the info to something else and back to get rid of the prompt every time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.