Update Problem with iPad 1

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Hitman1717, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Hitman1717 macrumors regular

Three hours ago I plugged in the ipad into my Mac to update the iPad. It was moving slowly and I was doing work. I just checked on it and it was still in the backup stage. I clicked cancel because I thought the process was taking an exorbitant amount of time. Now the top of iTunes still says "Canceling backup" and I cannot quit out of iTunes because it says the iPad still updating.

What do I do?

2. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

Wait for it to cancel the backup. It can take quite a long time depending on how full your iPad is for it to perform the backup in iTunes, just let it run and do other stuff, it will finish eventually.

3. Hitman1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I was just afraid to leave it like that. Will the update still go through?

4. Hitman1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Now we're really running into trouble. I left the update for awhile, but it was going on six hours so I did a Force Quit to iTunes. Restarted the mac, replugged in the iPad.

Now when I go to update the iPad again I keep getting the message, "iTunes could not back up the iPad because a session could not be started with the iPad. Please disconnect and reconnect the iPad and try again."

So I keep doing this and the same message comes up. Ideas?

5. Hitman1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Might have fixed it: did a reset of the iPad and hooked it back in. Seems to be moving along a bit now.