Update process freezes when I try updating iPad to 4.2.1

Discussion in 'iPad' started by felixen, Jan 18, 2011.

1. felixen macrumors 6502a

I finally decided to say screw untethered jailbreak and go for redsnow on 4.2.1. When I started updating in iTunes I noticed the installation bar on my iPad go to like 60% and freeze. I tried a few times, then let it stay for 10 hours and it still didn't move. Then tried a few more times, in DFU mode and also by regular resets - NOTHING. it keeps freezing up. What can I do? This is terrible. Really hope someone can help

Edit: also, why can't I choose to restore from a backup? (Which is still 3 months old cause I couldn't find out how to make a new backup :( )

2. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm I tried uninstalling wifisync and it actually helped. I'm good now :)

Anyway I would still like to know how to make backups in iTunes? It seems random when it does it automatically. My last update was from 10/26/10 so that's a little setback

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Right-click on iPad icon on the left hand panel in iTunes. Pick "backup" from the drop down menu.

It should also make a backup everytime you sync. When was the last time you synced your iPad? If you have synced your iPad sometime after 10/26/10 and it didn't make a backup, then you must have installed one of those mods that stop iTunes from making backups. In that case, you'll have to figure out what you did and undo it.

4. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your reply. I dont get that option though (I only see the option to restore from a backup). I can't recall having installed anything to remove auto backup either as I wouldn't want that.

Also, I seem to have a new problem. While I can jailbreak 4.2.1 now, I am having trouble loading my backup from iTunes. I want to jailbreak first and then load the backup, but the iPad seems to crash as soon as I start the process in iTunes. I crashes at the apple logo with a frozen loading icon inside of it. Keeps happening and I have to completely restore and jailbreak all over again. Any advice how I can load my backup after jailbroken?

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Weird. Does iTunes create a backup when you sync?

If it doesn't, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes?

What's wrong with loading the backup first and then jailbreaking?

6. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I haven't tried reinstalling iTunes. I'm afraid I will lose stuff like artwork, playlists or the track info I have edited myself (I've spent days on this). But nope, doesn't seem to auto backup when I sync

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Then you modified iTunes somehow, because the default behavior of iTunes is to make a backup every time you sync. You say the last backup was in October? Try to remember any changes you may have made to your system at that time.

In any case, artwork and track info get written into mp3 files, so you won't lose them by reinstalling iTunes. Playlists should stay in place too, but backup your iTunes library just in case. Just search your computer for a folder called "iTunes," and copy any folders you find.

8. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alright, thanks. I will try that. Come to think of it when I had wifisync I chose to not make backups when using wifisync, but I thought that was only a setting within wifisync, not iTunes. I guess that would be it though. Any way to switch it back on or do I have to reinstall? I uninstalled wifisync yesterday cause it seemed buggy

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I've never used wifisync so can't say for sure, but if you used it to turn backups off, then you should reinstall it and see if you can find the setting to turn it back on. Once iTunes backup is turned back on, you can uninstall wifisync again.

10. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a