Update/Replace Mouse drivers...?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by wheezy, Apr 13, 2009.

1. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

I bought a mac pro last September, and I've had a run around of temperamental mighty mouse. Or so I thought. The one it came with I plugged in and it clicked like a mad demon, button 4 was basically useless as the slightest touch would trigger it. I had a Mighty Mouse that I owned before that I switched it out for, and the problem seemed to go away.

But it came back, and much worse this time. I unplugged the mouse to use it on my Macbook, and when I plugged it back into the MP the clicking went berserk again. This time I took it to the Apple Store to get it replaced.

The genius plugged it into his Macbook at the desk, and it worked fine; no sporadic clicking at all. I assured him it did it like crazy and asked for a new mouse, which he replaced.

He then threw out that it's probably not the physical mouse that's the problem, but rather the software in my Mac Pro. That kind of baffled me, but I had my new mouse and I was happy.

However, the instant I plugged the new one in, the clicks came back with a vengeance. The probability of getting 3 bummer Mighty Mouse are not very high, and I also used the new one on my Macbook again today with no hiccups. So, something messed up on my Mac Pro.

(Sorry, this is getting long, but details prevent questions). Today I decided to 'upgrade' my system and install a fresh OS X on my Striped Internal RAID; no time machine restore etc. (I also wanted the see how much faster it would be, and it's quite noticeable). Sadly... the click remains.

I'm baffled. I reset the PRAM to no avail, installed a brand new OS X, permissions repairs etc. Everything maintenance I can think of. I've plugged the mouse in via the keyboard and the front panel. I'm out of options. I wanted to ask here first before lugging 50 pounds of precious metal 40 miles to the store.

So... any ideas? Right now I'm dumbed the thing down to a classic one button mouse...

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm.. never had those sorts of issues with my wired MM.

I have connection problems with the wireless version, every few mins my system would report the mouse is not connected.. lol.
    i'm completely baffled. Returning the thing to the AppleStore works fine!! Yet on all my mac it disconnects randomly. ><

3. wheezy thread starter macrumors 65816

wheezy

Kotaete Kureta arigatou! Is it your bluetooth? My Macbook has the (well documented) 'Bluetooth not available' curse and it disconnects my BT mouse all the time. I have to use SMC Fan control to run them at 3500rpm minimum to have a generally good connection day. (It's an old school one button no scroll or I'd just use that). Does it do that on your MacPro? What did you end up with anyways? I remember you sold yours, but then bought the same thing back?

4. dantherevelator macrumors regular

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I'm going to be upset if my Logitech BT mouse won't work with my new iMac - it works with my netbook great...

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Yeah, i thought it's the bluetooth too.. but wouldn't that affect the wireless keyboard too?? And shouldn't the issues be tied to one machine only? I tried it on my other machines and it does the same thing exact thing!! Seriously.. what's the odds, faulty bluetooth in each of my Macs?? o_O

7. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

Does this happen all time or only after the computer has been a rest a while?

8. wheezy thread starter macrumors 65816

wheezy

It happens all the time, comes and goes. I guess there's a speaker inside the MM that actually generates the 'click' sound for button 4? It's not the heavy press down click sound, but the fainter button 4 click. It seems like the sensors are freaking out, but only when plugged into my Mac Pro. I wonder if the USB is just surging too much power to it??

I haven't tried a 3rd Party mouse yet, I don't have a spare one of those around.

9. wheezy thread starter macrumors 65816

wheezy

Yep, that's odd that it's the Mouse only. It seems we're both pretty mystified here. And googling has led me no where.

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

[​IMG]

Since buying the mouse I've had zillions of replacements and they all do the same thing eventually - break!! I've wasted too much money on batteries and I've found a way to solve my problem with one swift move...

[​IMG]

Trashed the Apple Mighty Mouse!!...
    Looking back, has to be the best move ever!! :D