UPDATE Searching ... loop (GSM/3G) (no Baseband but yes IMEI) iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alfon_sico, Jan 28, 2017.

1. alfon_sico macrumors member

alfon_sico

Recently trying to change the cover of an iPhone 5 something goes wrong and when plug the phone with the new chasis it can't find GSM network and is "searching ..." even when is without SIM

Lot of forums and readings later I can't find the solution, even I change some internal cables with the genuine ones when it works but seem that it is not the problem

My last change could be "restore" or update the iOS system but I'm afraid I can brick my device as it can't be activated anymore

Nowadays iPhone have iOS 10.1.1 and first I try a OTA update ... I never found a error like that, download OTA file, preparing to install but at the end jump a error that tell that I'm not able to update

My question is. Could I try to UPDATE from iTunes and phone don't need activate and the end?
    Could I restore from iTunes? Could I put iPhone in DFU mode to restore?

The third question I guess that I get a bricked phone, almost sure that I could update iOS without problem and not sure about restore.

Please send my light for the moment I not updating nor restore system

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, do not restore it or update with itunes because it will not go through and it will give you an error.
    You have a hardware fault. Something you did must have either unplugged a wire or the antenna got disconnected.
    Bring it to a repair place so you dont mess it up any more.

3. alfon_sico thread starter macrumors member

alfon_sico

Well it could be a hardware error but I checked all the wires and plug/unplug several times

Maybe I forced some screws

After all some people say about update/retire/clean the iPhone

Could I try UPDATE from iTunes and (if it goes, maybe I get a mistaken) will it needs activate the phone with a SIM? (I guess not but not sure)

Restore and factory settings I'm sure it needs activate

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Do what you want then. Obviously you didn't check good because you're not getting signal.
    I told you to avoid restoring or updating because it will need to activate with a sim card and you will be stuck anyway until you repair the hardware issues you are having.
    And the update might not even be able to complete if the device detects a hardware fault.

5. alfon_sico thread starter macrumors member

alfon_sico

UPDATE
    I realize that baseband info is empty in General-Information screen, however IMEI has right number

I read about problem where there is no Baseband and no IMEI that this is a real hardware problem but I read few things about no Baseband but right IMEI

Some user report that 5S could be fixed with update iOS from iTunes but in the same comment I read that 32bits iPhone (5/5c) could not be corrected with that. Other one said that you can heat baseband chip and solve that issue

Confusing comments. Looking forward hearing from you