Update '' Shock '' is this normal

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by siam, Sep 22, 2008.

1. siam macrumors regular

I am trying to download the latest update , and this is what I get when using my slow dial up connection .. :(

Attached Files:

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

well dialup speed is 56 kilobits per sec and the most your going to get is between 6 and 7 kilobytes per sec.

321 megabytes = 328704 kilobytes

so 328704 kilobytes/6 kilobytes per sec = 54784 sec = 15.2 hrs

its going to take around 15 hours. i just think that time isnt accurate or your speed has slowed right down. have you checked your connection?

3. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Ouch. Everytime my broadband goes out I consider going back to dial up, but this is the reason I remain with cable.

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I think what the OP is trying to get at is that his download time has spiked a lot.

The speed might be affected by other people using the internet on that connection, or the ISP, or the type of connection your phone line has.

Does it only happen when you download that update? You might only have noticed it because it's a particularly large file.

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Man... if you're using dial up it must be so frustrating when these huge updates come along...!
    Wouldn't it be better to download the Combo updater once you're somewhere where you do have faster internet?

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you could go download it from a friend who has broadband and burn it to disc, or go to an apple store and do the same thing.

7. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

ouch bro - 519 hours...that's gonna hurt. You'd be *so* much better off going somewhere that they have free internet. Think starbucks, barnes & noble, local mac stores, panera bread, schlotzskis, etc...

8. siam thread starter macrumors regular

I live in a very small village some days away from '' any where '' so my only contact to the out side world is my slow dial up connection, I am how ever going to give EDGE on my mobile phone a try soon , fingers crossed :)

What I would give for an ADSL connection !!. :(

9. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I'd make the trek to an Internet cafe. I'd be surprised if the firmware wasn't corrupted by the time it completes.

10. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Off topic but.... whats the current internet scenario in Thailand?

11. siam thread starter macrumors regular

Ive been reading another post about a similar problem, and I was wondering about going to an internet shop that has a fast connection and downloading the update to a DVD , but ive just remembered that none of the Thai internet shops have Mac's only PC's , so this would may be a problem trying to download some thing for an Apple Mac from a PC, Have I got this right ?

Thanks a lot

12. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

No

Get it from here:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx1055update.html

Its heavier since its the PPC + Intel Duo package..... Apple only provides this!

13. siam thread starter macrumors regular

The internet here in Thailand is well below parr and a big Expat's complaints
    and frustrations issue, I don't know if you have ever been to Thailand , but the Thais have a saying they use all the time - Mai pen rai - which translated means , Never Mind , and that saying applys to the state of the Thai Internet
    system . :( I will put together a better discripton that will outline just how bad the Thai internet service is and post it here later

14. siam thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks , is that NO I have got it all wrong and I can't use a PC to download an Apple update to a DVD , which then will be used on an Apple Mac to update it ?

Thanks

15. Padraic macrumors regular

That means you can use a PC to download the combo update. Just follow the link provided with whatever flavor of PC and browser you can get your hands on and when it's done downloading burn it to a disc, put it on a USB stick, whatever...

16. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I remember back in the old-days when there was System 6 and 1400baud modems... OMG!!! The internet today is a dream to use, even with 56kers