Update? Should I purchase an Airport Express?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by regnoc, Apr 23, 2009.

1. regnoc macrumors newbie

I see that Airport Express was last updated over a year ago. Does anyone see the Airport Express being updated anytime soon? What is the difference in the radio between the Express and the Extreme just released the 1Q 2009?

Thanks for all your help.

2. aristobrat macrumors G5

The Express doesn't have this new feature that the Extreme and Time Capsule were just updated with:

Simultaneous dual-band support.

Some Wi-Fi devices use the 2.4GHz wireless band, including iPhone, iPod touch, and devices using 802.11b/g. Other devices can use either 2.4GHz or the higher-speed 5GHz band, such as the latest 802.11n-based Mac computers and Apple TV. Instead of choosing one of the bands, AirPort Extreme now operates simultaneously on both bands, and your multiband devices automatically use the best available band. This means all your Wi-Fi devices get the fastest possible wireless performance and the best possible range.

3. regnoc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks aristobrat!

For a clear understanding: The Express is a 802.11n. Is the Express a draft (802.11n-draft) model? Is the Extreme a 802.11n-draft? So is the Express dual-band without simultaneous support? Will it auto-switch to the best mode available in my current network?

My network will soon change. But currently a Linksys cable modem with 802.11g/switch. Bought a Netgear PowerLine as a game-link adapter. Works great, 200mb plus. However, the PowerLine will turn off when it's out of activity for some time. Have to reboot it every time I want to play.

My solution: Use the Express in "client-mode" as a game adapter. I have done this before with great results. No rebooting and great for serving music wirelessly. When I've done this before the Express was an 802.11g. Does it seem that my solution will still work (I bought the newer 802.11n)?

My question: is this a wise investment at this time? Does anyone foresee an imminent update?

4. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

The Express you bought can use either 2.4GHz or 5Ghz. If you upgrade your main router in the future to one that uses 802.11n, then your Express will be able to extend it.

I'm guessing that Apple won't upgrade the Express.