Update steps checklist

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ZCherub, Aug 27, 2011.

1. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm going to attempt to update my iP4 from 4.1 with the 1.59.00 baseband to 4.3.3 & keep the unlockable baseband. Since I messed this up the other night (been a while since I did a restore/jailbreak, & honestly, I didn't do my homework well enough before I attempted it), I made a brief checklist of steps. Since a lot of you are far more knowledgable in this area than I am, I'd appreciate it if you point out anything I've gotten wrong or missed. Thanks!!

-Connect iP4 to PC, & sync in iTunes to back up

-Launch Tiny Umbrella & verify that 4.3.3 SHSH blobs are saved

-Click 'Launch TSS Server' & re-launch iTunes since TU killed iTunes when it was launched.

-Place device in DFU mode, then click 'Shift+Restore' in iTunes.

-Select 4.3.3 firmware that has been saved to the PC, & let iTunes go through the update until error pops up.

-To get device out of recovery (since 'kick device out of recovery' & 'fix recovery' functions in TU no longer work from what I've read), place device in DFU mode again (rather than the recovery mode with the iTunes logo/USB that it is likely in at this point) run FixRecovery43 executable (w/ zlib.dll in the same folder) to reboot device.

-Once 4.3.3 is installed & device is out of recovery, use Safari to navigate to jailbreakme.com & JB!

Let me know how that sounds - thanks for all the help!

2. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Any input? Thanks!

3. eastercat, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011

eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You can also use pwnage or snowbreeze, since you're going to jb anyway. You still have to use your blobs of course.
    If you stick with your method, make sure that the server is pointing to the correct location in TU. Personally, I'd use pwnage; since it sounds as though you have a windows computer, you're stuck with snowbreeze.

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

there are many tutorials out there that will take you though it step by step. Iclarified is a great source. Hurry up if your going to us jailbreakme.com Apple might have comex shut it down now that he is interning with them. Personally I like Redsn0w the best.

5. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Thanks! I don't have to use JBMe, it just seemed like the easier option. Not opposed to other options!

iClarified is great! Unfortunately, last time I went through the step by step directions, I got stuck in a recovery loop - just want to be sure I don't do anything like that again unless I can fix it!

Thanks all! I'm open to any other suggestions!

6. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

OP, I just updated my 3GS from 4.0 (I know...) to 4.2.1 today using sn0wbreeze and it couldn't have been any easier. I'm on Windows and used it to preserve my baseband. It went without a hitch.

Check out http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/ and you can find anything you need, including downloading the firmware you'll need and the software you'll need to update and jailbreak with.

I went ahead and put in your parameters (using the links at the top of the page in the black box). It looks like if you want to update to 4.3.3 and keep your baseband intact, you can use sn0wbreeze. Here's a link to JM's page showing you what you can use.

http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/chart?version=4.3.3&device=iphone4

Good luck! :D

7. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Thanks a ton, Kentucky! I'll check that out ASAP. I really appreciate the link - I've never heard of that site before now. Thanks for taking the time to plug my details in, too!